X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bagpipe Lessons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thread is 3 years old, he might not check on it anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm about to start on my piping lessons adventure! I've been playing the PC for 6 or 7 months now. Here in Houston TX. I found a Pipe band that is offering a "Beginners Class" from scratch! This starts next week Jan.06 and lasts for 40 weeks. The 40 weeks is made up of 5 courses and each course is 8 weeks long. First 3 are with the PC, last 2 are on the GHBP's. Each course is $100. for a total of $500. for the year program. I'm excited!! I'm 45 years old and this looks like a good shot at the pipes! If you live in the Houston, TX area and are interested send me a PM and I'll forward the info.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, sweet deal! And here I thought my $25/hr for my instructor was a steal...
    "A true adventurer goes forth, aimless and uncalculating, to meet and greet unknown fate." ~ Domino Harvey ~
    ~ We Honor Our Fallen ~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Conley View Post
    Man, sweet deal! And here I thought my $25/hr for my instructor was a steal...
    Egads.... I pay $35/hr.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kevo, sounds like a well structured plan!

I'm starting next week at the Irish Cultural Center in Phoenix. They do have a sweet deal -- $90 for nine weeks of group instruction, or $15/half hour private instruction. With the private instruction, you can either do 1/2 hour/wk or one hour/wk.

The ICC has a lot of music, dance and language classes. in See http://www.azirish.org/staticpages/i...leRegistration
    Last edited by Spartan; 29th December 08 at 11:00 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spartan, thanks for the reply, my experience is that a 1 hour lesson is about right. A half hour is tooo short to cover material, and expand on problems. Go for the full hour, the time will go FAST! The group lessons I'll be taken are 1.5 hours, there will by 4 to 5 of us I believe so that should work out. I'm excited to get started!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True enough... my hour seems to FLY by...
    "A true adventurer goes forth, aimless and uncalculating, to meet and greet unknown fate." ~ Domino Harvey ~
    ~ We Honor Our Fallen ~

Phogfan86 is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only been at it for a year, and I know I'd have to pay for private lessons, but this is the first I've heard of a band charging anything.
    Why, a child of five could understand this. Quick -- someone fetch me a child of five!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not actually being part of the band. The lessons are being taught by band members/instructors. After the 5th course, the end of the 40 week program you are able to tryout for the band. This is a "beginners/ entry level" starting point. No previous knowledge needed. The lessons are affordable. Other private lessons cost much more. The exposure to others at this level is good, I want all the exposure I can get to become knowledgeable in the pipes. I'm finding that everyone seems to have "their way or style". Many different ways to skin a cat... I've been basically going by the "Green Book" for the last few months. Just as I view other forums on the GHBP's trying to widen my window or view, I want to become a well rounded, knowledgeable piper. For quality instruction, exposure, and chance to play in a band I'd gladly pay a nominal fee!! I'm very much looking forward to this opportunity!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12