X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Forum Idea: So He Wants to Wear the Kilt

I've noticed recently there's been some women joining, (hello, sistahs!) and more men talking about their significant others' reactions to, support for, or denigration of, the kilt.

Maybe we could have a forum for that sort of discussion and call it, "So He Wants to Wear the Kilt," for folks to come and ask questions without feeling like they're intruding on the rest of the community with their questions.

Just a thought.

(And also for bosses, friends, parents, kids, etc to post questions or concerns- not just for spouses or partners.)

I'm just thinking if there was a place that could host a kilt answer board with a dazzling breadth and depth of knowledge, this is it!
    Last edited by Shay; 5th October 05 at 01:04 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a great idea! It could be primarily for spouses / S.O. of kilt wearers to post their concerns and or why they support their S.O. wearing kilts. I'd love to have somewhere to tell my wife to go and talk to other women who's hubby wears a kilt.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I think that is a great idea as well!
    The kilt concealed a blaster strapped to his thigh. Lazarus Long

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prime idea, Shay!

Quote Originally Posted by cavscout
    I'd love to have somewhere to tell my wife to go and talk to other women who's hubby wears a kilt.
    This is an especially good reason. I am stunned by how many women are unsupportive of their men wearing kilts. Maybe it would help for them to be able to come here and talk it out with other women. It really can seem like your man is the only one in the world sporting a kilt sometimes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not just call in the Section for Spousal Support? After all some people may have spouses that are not "wives". I hate political correctness too, but it covers all grey areas in this case.

This would cover may topics (overcoming fears, encouragement, questions, support, gift ideas, and persuasion).

Great idea though.

Dreadbelly is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a brilliant idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My vote would be yes, I think the thread history shows that something like this would be beneficial. I don't think it would result in being "taken over" since we're talking more about guests reviewing the threads.

The downside, I'm cynical, is that my wife, who could probably give excellent advice on this, is not likely to post. She is more from the "give your head a shake, girl" school of thought on this. To her, a kilt is fairly natural, and "so what?". Any objection is more fashion, she would rather see the heavy socks and the Jacobite shirt but...she prefers kilt, tee, and sandals to jeans and stray cats/rolling stones tees.

The other thing is that a really cynical person knows every woman on a board is really that fat comic book guy from the Simpsons. (but, hey, pirate kitty, I don't believe that.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meow, yarr...

Actually, I believe I did include all significant others in my original staement- a category which I think also includes spuoses of any sex, mothers, fathers, employers, or anyone who's really significant in a kilt-wearer's life- in no way do I want a 'ladies-only' forum. (For starters, I'd be disqualified for cursing and wearing boots!)

Bear- I edited my original post to more accurately reflect the idea I had- thanks for showing me where I wasn' presenting myself correctly.
    Last edited by Shay; 5th October 05 at 01:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shay
    Meow, yarr...

Actually, I believe I did include all significant others in my original staement- a category which I think also includes spuoses of any sex, mothers, fathers, employers, or anyone who's really significant in a kilt-wearer's life- in no way do I want a 'ladies-only' forum. (For starters, I'd be disqualified for cursing and wearing boots!)

Bear- I edited my original post to more accurately reflect the idea I had- thanks for showing me where I wasn' presenting myself correctly.

Shay,
    Aside from (some) employers, nobody has the right to deny a guy the right to wear a kilt.

We do not need to convince others in our lives to accept kilts; we need to convince those wavering men in kilts that they must stand by their own choices, that they must wear their kilts when and where they choose, that they are men!

Those men that can't be convinced will wear pants. Not all men are cut out for kilts.

Dreadbelly is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bear@bearkilts.com
    Shay,
    Aside from (some) employers, nobody has the right to deny a guy the right to wear a kilt.

We do not need to convince others in our lives to accept kilts; we need to convince those wavering men in kilts that they must stand by their own choices, that they must wear their kilts when and where they choose, that they are men!

Those men that can't be convinced will wear pants. Not all men are cut out for kilts.
    This is true on so many levels. Some men are just not up for the challenge of wearing a kilt. When I stated this before, I got flamed by several people here. You know who you are. (At the moment, I don't remember who you are) I got raked over the coals for saying pretty much the same thing that Bear just said and I got lectured.

And I don't see anybody raking Bear over the coals for stating the painful and obvious truth.

For some men, no matter what we say, or what we say to their wives, nothing is going to do them any good.

It is a bloody crime to be MASCULINE. Men are expected to shave off their gender and age identifying characteristics, their facial hair. Expected to dress and behave a certain way. Men are belittled and put down for being men, men who stand out and DO THEIR OWN THING. A woman is expected, hell, required to flaunt her gender in this world to make something of her self... But men must make themselves fit in to a cookie cutter mold. Off goes the beard. Hair must be clipped short. Don't stand out. Don't be different. Be a cog or a gear in the machine just like everybody else. Wear your uniform and fit in or you WILL be punished.

Some men don't have what it takes to deal with this sort of pressure.

Sorry. Had to speak my piece. I believe I kept it civilised. But what Bear said hit a nerve and I could not contain my self. I HAD to say something.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast