X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pittsburgh Kilts: Yay or nay on the twill PK?

I'm thinking of purchasing an "All cotton heavy weight (12 oz.) twill in Forest Green" kilt from Pittsburgh Kilts (need to replace an older green canvas kilt) with narrow pleats, but minus the cloth 'sporran' and no any additional options.

Here's what the PK in Forest Green looks like:

I would appreciate input from Xmarks members who actually own a twill kilt from Pittsburgh Kilts and if you have your own pics of your PK, can you please post them here in this thread? (If that's okay with Hank and the mod squad)

Thank you!
    Last edited by MacSimoin; 12th October 05 at 02:16 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only have a two-tone PK, but it is in the heavyweight 12 oz. material. I love my PK, but the material takes a lot of love to keep looking sharp.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't speak from first hand knowledge, as I don't have a PK. Jeff seems to have alot of satisfied customers that are really happy with their purchases.

Personnally I would be more inclined to go with a casual from Freedom kilts. The material is likely comparable if not heavier. With the casual Steve has tried to maintain the traditional look of a kilt, but with modern additions. You can't go wrong with a FK. You definitely get what you pay for.

I know Jewddha has one of each, maybe he could provide a bit of a comparison of the two kilts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll just say this...

I'm a kiltmaker. I can make a kilt any day that I choose to make one.

I bought one of Jeff's kilts to give it a review, and I've been wearing it regularly ever since. It's WELL MADE, and extremely comfortable. For the money, it's more than worth a "go".

I'm not a big "casual kilt" guy, but I really like the skill that Jeff puts into his work. It's VERY apparent in the look, the feel, and the fact that it won't have the threads fraying after a couple washes.

With all that... I will be buying another one in the future. I like the guy, I like his business practices, I like his customer service, I like his kilts, and (most of all) I like his integrity.
    Arise. Kill. Eat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Jimmy has it dead-on there.
    And as for FK, you can get them in the same weight I beleive, also incredibly well-made products, I do own both, and hope to get more of both in the future. I don't see how you can go wrong with a PK (or a FK), just make sure you know the weight and "attitude" of the material.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own 5 PK's; all are excellent. Pittsburgh Kilts gets a big "Yay" from me.

With PK, know what you're ordering. Since each kilt is a custom work, you'll get the best deal by asking for exactly what you want. If the basic design doesn't work for you, change it.

But even if you go with a basic design, service and workmanship are both top-notch.

I have a few photos. I'll have to see if I can get them posted through, say, photobucket.com.

Member - X Marks Honor Roll
    Former House Chairman/Forum Advocate

Reston, Virginia, USA (Suburban Washington, DC)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

I have to echo Jimmy's sentiments here. I only have four kilts (two UK's a Sport Kilt and a Pittsburgh Kilt [and a four yard box pleat on order]) and the PK is a go. Jeff is very easy to work with and the kilt is comfortable and well made. I will most certainly be buying more from him in the future. The one I have is a little unusual as it's his regular design (Get the pocket in the underapron) but the fabric is covered in Pineapples and Palm Trees (I had it made for a vacation coming up in January). If you don't see what you want he'll work with you to make it happen.

(Eventually I want kilts from all of the small kilt makers around here but money is money.)

(And sporrans to boot, David) :mrgreen:
    Last edited by starbkjrus; 12th October 05 at 12:38 PM.
    Dee

Ferret ad astra virtus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a denim flannel-lined Pittsburgh Kilt. I like it a lot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeff's workmanship is top shelf. I don't see how anyone could go wrong ordering from him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. Is there anyone here who owns a twill PK willing to share their impressions as well?
    Last edited by MacSimoin; 12th October 05 at 02:18 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast