I've been sick, and I took the opportunity provided by a fever and a cough and a runny nose to stay home from work. In the afternoons when I was feeling a bit more chipper, I started working on my first traditional kilt. This is my "practice" kilt, the one I'm doing before I bite off the X Marks kilt.

What I'll do in this thread is post a series of updates, with information and pics when I get around to taking them on how it's going. Hopefully this will be of som e use to other fledgling kiltmakers.

First off....I'm planning on making two more kilts, which including the canvas kilt, means I'd have made three when I "retire". The absolute most I'd ever make I think is six.

1. carhardt canvas machine-sewn (done)
2. "practice" wool traditional kilt (in progress)
3. X Marks wool 6-yard kilt (definitely will make this)

The other possibilities are:

4. cotton/poly "contemporary" kilt...since I'm not entirely happy with the canvas one I made
5. 7 yard tradtional in the Holyrood tartan, because I really love that tartan
6. 7 yard traditional in the California Tartan, if I could ever find a source of the California Tartan that's not obscenely expensive

Oh, heck, one more
7. 7 yard traditional in Grey Stewart, because I love the tartan.

OK, check in whenever you like, I'll update this thread periodically as I make progress through kilt #2.