X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where?

toadinakilt

Where?

So. Where did you guys learn how to make kilts? Is there a school? A tech college with a kiltmaking program somewhere in Scotland? Did you have private tutelage? Were you self taught?

I would love to hear all of your stories. And if there is a school, maybe with a summer program, that would be such an awesome way to spend a summer, maybe this coming one.

Anywho. I'm mostly interested in those of you who make traditional style kilts, but those of you who make contemporary kilts are also welcome to tell us how you got into kiltmaking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm self taught. I started with instructions on a couple websites then bought Barbs book.

Southern Breeze is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a kiltmaker, but I will share my story.My motivation for making kilts is simple.I'm a blacksmith and I'm making a few to wear while smithing.With all the heat and sparks any type of clothing doesn't last long.So, rather than buy a kilt from one of the established kiltmakers and ruining it quickly,I'll make some that I don't mind trashing.I'll probly make a few more traditional ones from tarten I have on hand,but not many.The vast majority of my casual and formal kilts will always be bought from someone else.I'm still on my first one and I have a new respect for those who make kilts for a living.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Breeze
    ...I'm still on my first one and I have a new respect for those who make kilts for a living.
    SB, I will echo your respect for those doing this for a living. A hand sewn kilt, especially when you are hand sewing it for some faceless person who just ordered it up, has to be a labor of love. Based on the economic factors posted elsewhere, it certainly isn't to get rich! Working on my own first one as well, I can foresee making more for myself, using a sewing machine, but can't imagine doing this as a fulltime job. My hats off to all the kilt makers.

Now, who gets my next order??
    The kilt concealed a blaster strapped to his thigh. Lazarus Long

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When my daughter started Highland dancing when she was 10, and I looked at the cost of a custom-made kilt, I knew I needed to learn how to make kilts. When she went to her first Highland dance camp, there was a companion kiltmaking camp for a week taught by Elsie Stuehmeyer, one of the best-known kiltmakers in North America. She apprenticed for 5 years starting in 1947 with Thomas Gordon's of Glasgow and has made thousands of kilts since then. I made Carolyn's kilt and decided I really liked the precision and complexity of making kilts.

When I started going to Highland games, I realized how many poorly-made kilts there are out there. I also discovered that no detailed instructions were available for someone who wanted to make a kilt. Elsie and I figured that it was time for a book, so I wrote it, illustrated it, and published it, and now a lot of you guys are making your own from it, which pleases me immensely!

Honestly? I couldn't make kilts for a living. I love making kilts, but I know I'd be bored to tears if that's all I did, and it would get really old (for me, anyway) if I had to make several a week just to get by. My hat is off to those of you who make a living at it.

Barb
    Last edited by Barb T; 28th October 05 at 04:14 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I learned online, as did my good friend Lance. He showed me this website:

http://users.tinyonline.co.uk/chegc/kiltsite/kilt.htm

He seemed to get the hang of it right away, while I had a bit of trial & error going on with my first few attempts. I always get new tips from Lance, and I've done a few experiments of my own, so the kilts I make now aren't quite the same as the ones on that website. It's a great place to start though.

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My friend Bob Martin taught me. I met him through my work at the Scottish Tartans Museum. He's the author of All About Your Kilt and has been making kilts, and researching kilts, for about 30 years now (he's now retired from kilt making). He's the one that brought back the traditional four-yard box pleated kilt in the early 1980s.

It's rather amusing how I came to learn to make kilts from him. I'm driving to work one cold, winter morning and thinking to myself, "I really ought to get Bob to just teach me how to make a kilt, just so I can make a few for myself, and also for the educational experience." Lo and behold, I get to work and Bob calls me on the phone and says, "Matt, you know you really ought to know how to make a kilt. It's reall simple to do a box pleated kilt. Why don't you let me teach you?"

And so it happened. I made my first kilt under Bob's capable direction. When that one was done I immediately made a second one for myself. Then a third for a friend of mine. And then.... and then.... :-)

I started taking orders for them because I wanted to keep making kilts, develop the skill, and plus I was just really enjoying it. Like Barb said in another thread, every kilt is different. It's fun seeing how it all comes together.

Aye,
    Matt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As did I

[QUOTE=philbo]I learned online, as did my good friend Lance. He showed me this website:

http://users.tinyonline.co.uk/chegc/kiltsite/kilt.htm
    QUOTE]

I'm using my wife's ancient Singer Featherweight 221. So far I've made 2 kilts. One is a corduroy Amerikilt knockoff with brass hardware and a polyester plaid I found on sale. All the pleats are sewn down. I also recreated the sporran for the Cord Kilt. I'm going to make a few fabric sporrans in plaid and black when I don't want to lug around the Rob Roy Sporran.

The first Kilt took about four hours to make the second about 2 1/2. I'll try to post some pictures later.

Read the directions before you start the project and take a look at any kilts you already have.

Familiarity with the machine pays off also. It doesn't need to be a $1K PFAFF either.
    Last edited by ian; 3rd January 06 at 09:34 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You got a Pfaff for only 1K?????????/
    Where??????
    do they have any more at that price????????
    do you have a sister??????????
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba
    I'm self taught. I started with instructions on a couple websites then bought Barbs book.
    DITTO! Also, did some non-distructive reverse engeneering from a traditional kilt and semi-traditional (see Rocky). PLUS A LOT OF MISTAKES (hint:keep a seam ripper close!).

Richard-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast