X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: Thinking ahead

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking ahead

Looking for opinions on Sportkilts "new and improved" modifications. My son is a Marine Gunnery Sgt. and I'm thinking about picking up a kilt for him as a Christmas present. He mentioned several years ago that he'd like a kilt in the Leatherneck tartan. The price of a traditional kilt in 16oz wool from Lochcarron made that unlikely. Now I see that Sportkilt advertises the Leatherneck tartan, as well as the options of sewing down the fell, belt loops and custom length. This looks like a more reasonable package, but I'd like to get some opinions on the changes if possible.
    LL Bean is now offering flannel shirts in the Leatherneck tartan, but considering the fact that over the last 13 years all of his postings have been to semi-tropical, tropical or desert climates, I figured he'd get more use out of a lighter weight kilt than a flannel shirt.
    All skill and effort is to no avail when an angel pees down your drones.

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LL Bean

LL Bean is now offering flannel shirts in the Leatherneck tartan, but considering the fact that over the last 13 years all of his postings have been to semi-tropical, tropical or desert climates, I figured he'd get more use out of a lighter weight kilt than a flannel shirt.
    I have one of LL Bean's tartan shirts in the Maine State Tartan, and it is not flannel -- a cotton blend, if I remember correctly. It is in the "Americana" series with the Leatherneck and other armed forces tartan shirts.

Cheers,

Todd

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    considering the fact that over the last 13 years all of his postings have been to semi-tropical, tropical or desert climates, I figured he'd get more use out of a lighter weight kilt than a flannel shirt.
    Then get him a lighter weight kilt, rather than a "sportkilt." Remember, the Sportkilt originated as something bikers could throw on when they were changing clothes outdoors -- and the ones I have seen really haven't been much more than that. Maybe they've improved some, but what you are more likely to get is a "costume that looks like a kilt" rather than the real deal.

You mention Lochcarron's 16 oz kilts as being expensive. That's true, they are. But you get what you pay for. How about as a compromise, you get a 4-yard casual kilt from Lochcarron in the 16 oz weight. Or maybe an 8 yard kilt in their 10 oz weight. Either one of these options would be a better investment, in the long run, than a sportkilt.

Aye,
    Matt

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Piper,

First, that's right about the L.L. Bean Marine tartan shirt. Its light weight, but long sleved. The buttons are all WHITE though, looks silly to me so took a Sharpie and CAREFULLY colored the buttons black, looks a lot better. Used a backing card so I didn't mark up the shirt.

I have seen the NEW SportKilt in Marine Tartan. While the New SportKilt with sewn down pleats etc. does look a LOT better the polyesther its made of makes the color VERY light compared to wool. The games I saw it at the young Marine wearing it ditched it in a heartbeat for a Utilikilt.

I have also seen hand sewn traditional wool kilts in the USMC tartan and they are incredibly beautiful. Much darker, more Marine looking, tartan than the SportKilt polyesther.

If he's made Gunny he deserves the best. Ideal, finances allowing, would be one of each. The wool hand sewn for formal wear, the SportKilt for knockaround.

Ron
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And, please, do thank him from us for his service to our country.