X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pipers

Southern Breeze is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe you could start a X-Marks pipe band! I don't play and never tried,I'm not that talented. What I can do is sit and listen all day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've played Highland Pipes for about 25 years now. Uilleann pipes for almost 15, Northumbrian smallpipes and Scottish smallpipes for over 16 years, Biniou Kozh for about 12, Veuze for about 10, Leicestershire smallpipes and English greatpipes since 1990, Cornish doublepipes since 1994, Flemish and various french pipes since the late 80s. I also play other, lesser known, types of pipes. In all, I play 17 varieties of bagpipes and my collection totals around 30 sets of bagpipes--including some of great historical value and interest (and which should probably be in a museum if I weren't such an acquisitive SOB).

In the last 25 years I've not only played, but made a number of sets of pipes, as well as a hurdy-gurdy (think bagpipes in a box). Additionally, I play Irish and concert flutes, whistles, bombardes, fiddle, musette de centre, and a wide variety of instruments that traditionally accompany bagpipes. (I also play about 25 classical and early music instruments including clarinets, oboes, bassoon, recorders, curtal, etc.

I've played in 3 pipe bands (I'm currently pipe major in one) and have been lucky enough to get to know members of, and practice with, some of the finest bands in North America and the world. I've also been lucky enough to meet and learn from some of the finest pipers in the world (It's great to live in western PA--with people like James McIntosh and Alistair Gillies living in the region).

Additionally, I am one of the organizers of the Pipers Gathering--which Hamish Moore has described as the largest gathering for bellows blown pipes in the world http://www.pipersgathering.org .

Love them drones!

WSG

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Breeze
    All these posts on bagpipes has me wondering,how many pipers are here at X-Marks? It doesn't matter how long you've been playing,stand up and be recognized.
    Last edited by wgority; 21st November 05 at 06:44 AM. Reason: minor additions and corrections

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought we just had this question a little while ago. Anyway, for those who say they have no musical talent, pipe band can always use drummers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pipe band drumming is some of the most demanding and difficult drumming you'll find. (Just try holding a tight press roll through a slow tune.) Also, look at some of the work being done by Tyler Fry and Jim Kilpatrick with the midsection and the innovations they've introduced there if you think drumming is easy or for non-musicians.

Drone on!
    WSG

Quote Originally Posted by Planopiper
    I thought we just had this question a little while ago. Anyway, for those who say they have no musical talent, pipe band can always use drummers.
    The tradition continues!
    The Pipers Gathering at Killington, VT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't carry a tune in a bucket and I'm somewhat tone deaf.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Pipe band drumming is hard

Lighten up, Dude. Didn't you see the smiley face? I was a side drummer in Michigan for a few of years before I ever started learning piping, so I have a clue what's involved. Most band members recognize a certain ongoing, good natured rivalry between the pipers and drumbos, sorry, drummers. It's all in fun. If we didn't have that, we'd have to start making fun of how people look, or their lack of social skills, or how quick tempered they are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No worries dude! One of my best friends is my lead tip, and I get a bit touchy when folks start to bust drummers. (quick tempered.......hah......you should see me when I really get going!)

Drone on!
    WSG

Quote Originally Posted by Planopiper
    Lighten up, Dude. Didn't you see the smiley face? I was a side drummer in Michigan for a few of years before I ever started learning piping, so I have a clue what's involved. Most band members recognize a certain ongoing, good natured rivalry between the pipers and drumbos, sorry, drummers. It's all in fun. If we didn't have that, we'd have to start making fun of how people look, or their lack of social skills, or how quick tempered they are.
    Last edited by wgority; 21st November 05 at 10:26 AM.
    The tradition continues!
    The Pipers Gathering at Killington, VT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been playing for about 3 months again after a break of 17 years! (growing up ,divorce, marriage kids, you know the stuff)
    I played in a pipe band and was taught by my father who was the pipe major.Have 11 years of piping experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I play the Scottish Smallpipes. I have a set of Uilleann pipes on order, but the waiting period for a decent set is (seemingly) forever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranald
    I've been playing for about 3 months again after a break of 17 years! (growing up ,divorce, marriage kids, you know the stuff)
    I played in a pipe band and was taught by my father who was the pipe major.Have 11 years of piping experience.
    Your new neighbors must adore you.

Sherry

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast