X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pipers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherry
    Your new neighbors must adore you.

Sherry
    Why do you think I moved to Scotland..Acceptance..I think not, helps but not entirely neccasary.
    I'm a bit of a noise maker anyway what with doing metal work so we've been trying to find a place with no neihgbors...Easier said than done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a piper want to be. I have been on the chanter and hope to be on the pipes sometime in August.

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada (OCONCAN)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm the same as mexpiper. My brother and I have been taking lessons on the chanter for a few months. We want to graduate to the pipes eventually.
    "Touch not the cat bot a glove."

Southern Breeze is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. Theres quiet a few pipers and future pipers out there. This is for you guys (and gals) out there playing and learning. Cheers.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Planopiper
    I thought we just had this question a little while ago. Anyway, for those who say they have no musical talent, pipe band can always use drummers.
    Which brings to mind the old joke: What do you call a guy with no musical ability who hangs around with a Rock band?

The drummer.

(And, honest to god, I do know many truly talented and brilliant drumers...so it's a JOKE, guys...)

best

AA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey! I'm a drummer! (but not a pipe band drummer.)

Been piping for about 5 years now. Only two more to go ...

'To the make of a piper go seven years ... At the end of his seven years one born to it will stand at the start of knowledge, and leaning a fond ear to the drone he may have parley with old folks of old affairs. Playing the tune of the 'Fairy Harp', he can hear his fore folk, plaided in skins, towsy-headed and terrible, grunting at the oars and snoring in the caves, he has his own whittle and club in 'The Desperate Battle' ... where the white-haired sea-rovers are on the shore, and a stain's on the edge of the tide; or, trying his art on Laments, he can stand by the cairn of kings, ken the colour of Fingal's hair, and see the moon-glint on the hook of the Druids.'

- NEIL MUNRO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been on the chanter for months and God only knows when I'll be ready for a pipe. I've always been a player of stringed instruments and this wood-wind stuff is HARD! :x

Plus, I can't practice unless I'm alone and even then the dog hates it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To any wannabe pipers or pipe band drummers (snare, tenor, bass) in the Dallas/ Fort Worth/ Plano area, get in touch with me and I'll help you find lessons and get you hooked up with a band if you like. I give bagpipe lessons in my home in Plano. I can help find someone if that's too far away for you. If you want to learn how to play, you should get started. If you save it for "someday", it'll never happen. I waited until I was 38. Wish I'd started 25 years earlier.

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada (OCONCAN)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I totally agree, Planopiper. I spent my whole life saying "One day I'm going to learn to play the bagpipes". I finally started when I was 50. Better late than never!
    "Touch not the cat bot a glove."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Planopiper
    If you want to learn how to play, you should get started. If you save it for "someday", it'll never happen. I waited until I was 38. Wish I'd started 25 years earlier.
    i started at age of 35 and took some years off, and restarted. I feel the same way you did wish i started much earlier.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123