X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Graham is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone using Skype?

I've been using Skype for overseas calls lately, it's very cheap and very good.
    My user name is Tassiecelt if anyone needs to know.

Skype is a nice way to chat on the cheep!

Retired Forum Adminstrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Graham, I've used Yahoo Voice for the same purpose in the past. I've had really good luck with it and it was free of charge. Last year, we had a Hogmanay party on Voice. Four people in Scotland, two in Canada and five of us here in the States. It worked like a champ.

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have heard that Skype users need to have microphones, earphones, and other 'add-ons' for their computers. Is that correct? If so, I don't think it's for me - I have more than enough problems with my computer as it is!!
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skype,

Hi Guys, Hamish If you have access to www.maplin.co.uk you can get a usb phone that connects to your computer, works really well.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...614&doy=28m11D

also check out www.voipbuster.com, Free calls to landlines in a lot of countries.

This also works with the above phone

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kennethc
    Hi Guys, Hamish If you have access to www.maplin.co.uk you can get a usb phone that connects to your computer, works really well.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...614&doy=28m11D

also check out www.voipbuster.com, Free calls to landlines in a lot of countries.

This also works with the above phone
    Many thanks for those links and the advice Kenneth. I'll have to get a friend to go through it with me as it looks far too technical for me to cope with - and that's just by looking at the reviews and technical info on the Maplin website (way over my head!!).
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish
    Many thanks for those links and the advice Kenneth. I'll have to get a friend to go through it with me as it looks far too technical for me to cope with - and that's just by looking at the reviews and technical info on the Maplin website (way over my head!!).
    Ham, boy do I have more and more reasons to visit you! Help take pictures of your Kilt Kollection, see the new grey tartan kilt from Geoffrey, and get your Internet phone service up and running so we can PM you for advice and have you able to call us back for free (or very close to it)! How does the week after Xmas look?
    The kilt concealed a blaster strapped to his thigh. Lazarus Long

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm gonna have to check into those services. I have lots of overseas friends and the phone call costs are a killer.

And besides, it would be just too much fun to actually have a phone conversation with Ham!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been connected to skype for a while but have only a couple of people to talk to. I can be reached at snlapping if anyone is awake when I am. Look forward to hearing from you!
    HAPPY KILTING
    DANEEL
    But for all these great powers, he's wishful, like me
    To be back where the dark Mourne sweeps down to the sea.