X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Removing Embroidered Patch Adhesive

So hey, I enjoy adding embroidered patches to my Utilikilt workman's, survival II, and denim...not all, but some.

Have a Scottish flag on the left pocket of my caramel workman's. Yesterday I'm up in Flagstaff at a bookstore that carries a lot of Celtic stuff. And I see an embroidered Irish flag patch. Start thinking...hey, the caramel workman's is "sort of" a saffron color. I'd just purchased a kelly green hooded sweat to wear with the caramel workman's. Seemed like I should buy the Irish flag patch and replace the Scottish flag. An Irish flag seemed more appropriate for the saffron-like color of the caramel workman's.

But hey, the Scottish flag was ironed on...can I even get it off without ripping the material under it....or will there be a huge patch of adhesive residue that will need to be removed before I can iron on the Irish flag. Sure I could sew the new patch over. But also got to wondering if I should have just sewn on the patch in the first place...what if I want a plain looking pocket again.

Anyone know if that iron on adhesive is easy to remove or if someone makes a chemical that will do it without eating up the fabric or changing the fabric color.

I have no clue...any help, suggestions appreciated.

Ron
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing I can think of is use a steam iron to heat and soften the glue, then try using Goo-Gone to get rid of the residue. Never having tried removinga patch I don't know if this will work or not.

Southern Breeze is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always removed them by heating them with an iron and slowly peeling them off. As for the remaining glue,lighter fluid works good to remove that. HOWEVER, there is probably a better product out there than lighter fluid, I just don't know what it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba
    The only thing I can think of is use a steam iron to heat and soften the glue, then try using Goo-Gone to get rid of the residue. Never having tried removinga patch I don't know if this will work or not.
    Or...
    If you have a fabric steamer, try that. Or you might try puting the kettle on to boil. When it does, hold the back side of the patch area over the steam to heat and soften the adhesive. I suspect the patch will peel off OK. If there's any glue left on the cloth, heat it again with steam and try removing it by patting with a piece of duck tape or something similar.

I've used steam from a kettle to take the wrinkles out of neckties for years. And you can make a nice pot of tea after.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Breeze
    I've always removed them by heating them with an iron and slowly peeling them off. As for the remaining glue,lighter fluid works good to remove that. HOWEVER, there is probably a better product out there than lighter fluid, I just don't know what it is.
    LIghter fluid is great stuff. But not all glues are vulnerable to hydrocarbon solvents. Lighter fluid is one of the best though because it is very pure and doesn't tend to leave a ring. I always test on a hidden area prior to attacking problem area.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks!

God I love the wisdom on this board!

Ron
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blu (Ontario)
    LIghter fluid is great stuff. But not all glues are vulnerable to hydrocarbon solvents. Lighter fluid is one of the best though because it is very pure and doesn't tend to leave a ring. I always test on a hidden area prior to attacking problem area.
    and of you use lighter fluid (naptha), make sure you wash it out completely. I once over filled a zippo and put it in my pocket...the skin on my leg burned for 3 washings after because of the soaked in naptha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can try "goof off" also, but check it for color safeness in a discrete area (on the kilt )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ron I used to buy used cammies (USMC) and take them to the dry cleaner to have the USMC iron on pocket patch removed and then replace it with the USN one. If they can get those things off, they can take off about anything.

Mike

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well That Was Easy...

Tried just gently pulling the patches off. One patch came off easily and left no residue...glad I put a couple tack downs of thread with it.

The other came off clean except for under the St. Andrew's cross part of the flag emblem in the center. Will see what happens when I wash it tomorrow.

Ordered two Irish flags to replace these patches so even if the adhesive doesn't come off I'll just cover it up.

The caramel workman's should look better with the Irish patches than it did with the Scottish flag and Navajo Nation seal patch.

Ron

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast