X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Conditioning" a New Sporran...??

I have two Freelander Sporrans that arrive soft. I have two Buzz Kidder basic sporrans that are made of soft leather, but have a firm shape.

Got to wondering if I should be somehow conditioning the BK sporran leather to make it even softer, so it lays better when I'm seated. Thinking along the lines of all the rituals, oils, lotions, crushing up, et.al. that a new stiff baseball mitt goes through.

Leather goods are best when "broken in." A lot of people help break in the leather...should/could I be doing anything along those lines with these sporrans??

All advice welcome.

Thanks,

Ron
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to second this...I just got a BK sporran and recognize that it needs to attain - how shall we say - an organic quality...I'm not grabbing the neatsfoot oil, however, because I'd like it to soften up without acquiring any unnecessary "aromas" other than that of leather...been my experience that you have to be careful what you apply to leather as you'll be living with the consequences a long time if you guess wrong.

So any advice will be gratefully received by me as well as Ron.

Best

AA

Southern Breeze is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had a Buzz Kidder for about a month now.I let nature take it's course and it's softned nicely on it's own. Daily wear and tear works fine for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Breeze
    I've had a Buzz Kidder for about a month now.I let nature take it's course and it's softned nicely on it's own. Daily wear and tear works fine for me.
    That pretty much sums it up for me also. Of the 3 BK sporrans I have, all are now butter soft from using them. Haven't had a need to oil, beat, submerge or puree them at all.
    If you consider using oil, remember this; Oil will never dry completely and you are going to be spending hours with your sporran laying on the material of your kilts.

Mike

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike n NC
    That pretty much sums it up for me also. Of the 3 BK sporrans I have, all are now butter soft from using them. Haven't had a need to oil, beat, submerge or puree them at all.
    If you consider using oil, remember this; Oil will never dry completely and you are going to be spending hours with your sporran laying on the material of your kilts.

Mike
    That would be one of the reasons that I'm thinking that oil is out...guess I'll just have to wear it constantly: to the store, to bed, in the shower...

Best

AA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a BK and the only thing I've ever done with it was rubbed some mink oil on it to try and give it a little more gloss. The finish on it is apparently not abosrbant as it didn't really make a difference at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing I can think of that will treat the hide without possibly staining your tartan would be Connelly Leather Care for car seats. It's avalible at automotive places or the local Jaguar dealership.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'Softening'

I would be VERY wary of using any oils or creams on a sporran. The big danger here is that they may stain the kilt (and you might NOT get the stains out), or at worst, damage the fabric of the kilt. You can hasten the 'weathering' of the leather by manipulating by hand, just gently keep bending the leather back and forth, and it will eventually crease a little and look 'worn in'. You can do this while you're watching TV.
    Better let 'nature' take it's course....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I packed mine with rolled up bits of newspaper and played a game of rugby with it. Broke it in smashingly! j/k

I think that normal wear and tear is the safest, kilt friendly method.