X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Horsehair Sporrans

This is a question(or four) I have pondered for some time. I have searched the archives here and could not find a suitable thread, so I'll start one myself.

What your feelings on the horsehair sporran. Is it only for military or pipe major use? Can it be pulled off in a semi-dress daywear outfit? I like the look of them in the MacLeay portraits shown on the Scottish Tartans Authority website. Is this a look best left in the Victorian age? Or is it the price that keeps them out of today's daily wear?

What's your opinion?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is just my opinion, but the horsehair sporrans only look right with a dress uniform, such as military or a piper. I don't think it would look at all good with normal civilian highland dress.

highlander_Daz is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pipers only im afraid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Horrible.

James

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to say it looks best with pipers/other uniforms as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always felt it looked silly on anyone other than a piper.

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are indeed known as Pipers' Sporrans - and only pipers in full dress uniform should wear them. They are an abomination with 'civvies'!
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Come on guys...be honest. Tell me how you really feel.

Obviously hair sporrans don't have a very high rating here, at least for civilian wear. Where did they go wrong? From the period illustrations I've seen they were a popular type of sporran for civilian wear. Maybe not for the working class, but at least for the well-to-do, gentlemen sorts. Our own Matt Newsome has a picture of himself, on his website, wearing one. If anyone can elaborate on them and their history, please do. I would appriciate it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have nothing against them. They do look nice and all. However on a personal note, I do not see myself wearing one, because I am not a piper or in a military unit.
    Glen McGuire

A Life Lived in Fear, Is a Life Half Lived.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathBar
    Obviously hair sporrans don't have a very high rating here, at least for civilian wear. Where did they go wrong? From the period illustrations I've seen they were a popular type of sporran for civilian wear.
    One should be careful using the MacIan prints or other period Victorian illustrations of highland dress as models for what's proper. Those drawings are fanciful at best and while I don't doubt that the occasional highland gentleman strapped on broadsword, dirk, pistols, powder horn, plaid and yes, hair sporran for a formal event...consider that none of of those other acoutrements have survived in any commonly used form to today.

Just my 0.02.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast