X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For all you whiskey drinkers

What's the deal with adding water to drink whiskey? I've been drinking Irish whiskey for some time now, and I don't understand the deal with the water? Do you need to add water? or does it really mater? I usually drink it straight, so this water thing is new to me. Thanks guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually add a tiny bit of water. I find it brings out the flavor better. And it makes it last a little longer ;)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Either or. If it is cask strength, I had just a little. If not cask strength then I add none. Does remind me of a joke by the late and great Tommy Cooper. He said, "I was in a pub one night drinking my Scotch and a man walked up to me and said, "Do you always drink your Scotch neat?" I replied "No, somtimes I don't wear a tie and my shirt tail is out!"" Oh well I guess you really have to hear it from Tommy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've usually had whiskey with coke but with WHISKY a wee bit of spring water brings out more of the flavors. Although, I usually have mine neat with a glass of water on the side.

Graham is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nick is correct, especially with single malts, however, I tend to mostly drink them straight, nothing added.

It's personal taste really, no rules.

On an overnight ferry recently the barman said they had rules NOT to serve whisky on it's own, only mixed with coke.
    I told him that was vulgar but he wouldn't budge.

thankfully I happened to have a flask in my sporran

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have spoken to a few bartenders (locally and in the UK) and they have all advised that single malt should have a touch of water added to bring out the flavour and aroma. I have found this to be quite true (as per my own personal tastes). However I still have friends that prefer it straight or with ice. To each their own.

I don't know if the same would apply to a blend or an Irish whisky though.

The only whisky I would ever add any kind of "soda" to is Canadian rye whiskey. I practically grew up making "Manitoba Martinis" (rye and 7-up) for my grandmother. I still have one if I am at the curling rink watching a game.

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada (OCONCAN)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha, Colin! That used to be my drink when I was just legal - CC and Seven!
    "Touch not the cat bot a glove."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham
    On an overnight ferry recently the barman said they had rules NOT to serve whisky on it's own, only mixed with coke.
    I told him that was vulgar but he wouldn't budge.

thankfully I happened to have a flask in my sporran
    Ugh! Maybe the rule was there to keep the sales of whisky down as they had a limited supply? That's the only reason of which I can think.

The distillers themselves say to add a bit of water to the whisky; but the ideal water to add to the whisky is the same local water that was added to it before it was bottled, & how many can get the local water? Hardly anyone would be my guess.

Most of the ppl I know who drink whisky drink it neat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Macman
    Haha, Colin! That used to be my drink when I was just legal - CC and Seven!
    Ok, I'll pile on... 7&7... before I was legal. ;)

As for the water question... The way it was explained to me was that having a little bit of fresh water tossed into the whisky allows a fresh set aromas to start avaporating from the surface of the drink, and therefore, since more than half our sense of taste is actually controlled by smell receptors, the character of the whisky becomes fuller and more complex.

That all may be BS, but that's what I was told.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Typically, water is added to the scotch to break the esters and make the scotch more aromatic: also, buy adding water you lower the acoholic content by volume, which reduces the liklihood that you'll numb your sense of smell and thereby reduce your enjoyment of the malt. Never add ice; it numbs the tongue to the flavor, and you wind up just drinking for the buzz. The amount of water added is subject to the drinker's preference, but can vary from as little as a half teaspoon to an almost 50/50 water/scotch ratio. Michael Jackson (the beer/scotch world reknowned author, not the *superstar*) has a wonderful writeup in his scotch guide, and there is also a nice piece in the online mag, the Malt Advocate.

Bryan...not that I drink the stuff myself, of course... :smile:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast