X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, go figure...

Kilts are mentioned. It's worth reading.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20060125/D8FBKS1O0.html

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting that it says that the note that he was sent home with specifically mentioned "kilts" among the rest of the proscribed items of clothing...

...do you think that there might be a web forum for high school principals out there in cyber-land where they have had extensive discussion of kilt-wearing as a result of the recent events in Missouri and that gave this principal the idea that he should include kilts?

Seems like it makes the anniversary date of the Tartan Proscription Act one that should be used by those who are kilted to educate those who just don't get it.

Best

AA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fox News is about to cover this after a commercial break.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shepard Smith on Foxcast. Smith did some excellent reporting on the Katrina Hurricane and its aftermath.

This was not a very sympathetic report -- plus being interrupted by a live speech from President Bush. There was lots of joking and condescending remarks.

We shouldn't expect much support from the mainstream press. Their job is to reflect the attitudes and values of their audience, not to educate them.

Education is our job as kilt wearers, and the job of the kiltmakers. Whatever you think of the ACLU, in this case, they cut through all the B.S. and achieved fairness.

The student, Coviello, was wearing a tartan kilt in what looked like Royal Stewart tartan, a black t-shirt with some kind of printed image on it, and tennis shoes.

I wonder if that's what the printed story meant by "'costume-style' dress."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hell, those ignorant buggers don't even know what a dress is, why should I credit anything they report?

Bryan/College Station, Republic of Texas, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw this story first thing this morning on, I think abc national news. They ran the story without comment but I was suspect of their reasons for running the story. They showed a skirt at the beginning of the story and then showed the kid going up some stairs in what looked kilt-like. Perhaps someone else got a better look than I did while trying to save my breakfast from the dog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a fuller article. To quote a friend, "I'll just say that they [the ACLU] aren't really about equality and civil rights. They are about politics and controlling policies."

School Allows Male Student to Wear Skirts
    Jan 24, 2006 6:44 pm US/Eastern

A male high school student from Bergen County will allowed to wear a skirt to school after the American Civil Liberties Union intervened on his behalf.

The ACLU of New Jersey announced Tuesday that it had reached an
    agreement with the Hasbrouck Heights School District allowing 17-year-old Michael Coviello, a high school senior, to wear the attire as a protest against the school's no-shorts policy.

The district's dress code bans shorts between Oct. 1 and April 15, but allows skirts, a policy Coviello believes is discriminatory.

At first, Coviello wore a costume-style dress, and high school
    officials objected, telling him to go home and change. The district's superintendent then advised the Coviello to purchase everyday dresses and skirts at a retail store, which Coviello did, the ACLU said.

But after a few days, the student was sent home with a note from his principal saying if he wore a dress, kilt or skirt, he could no longer attend school.

That was when his mother contacted the ACLU, which in turn contacted the superintendent on Jan. 3. The organization protested that all students _ not just girls _ are entitled to wear skirts, and that Coviello's fashion statement is protected by the First Amendment.

Last week, the district agreed that Coviello could wear skirts.

``I'm happy to be able to wear skirts again to bring attention to the fact that the ban on shorts doesn't make sense,'' said Coviello in a statement.

The Hasbrouck Heights superintendent, Joseph C. Luongo, did not
    return telephone messages left Tuesday by The Associated Press.
    http://1010wins.com/topstories/local_story_024152435.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherry
    Here's a fuller article. To quote a friend, "I'll just say that they [the ACLU] aren't really about equality and civil rights. They are about politics and controlling policies."
    I'd have to respectfully say that nothing in this article would support your friend's statement, Sherry. The ACLU has done some things that pi$$ed me off royally, but I can't recall offhand a time they didn't come down on the side of the Constitution, despite popular opinion.

Bryan...in fact, I see similarities between our Xmarks family and the ACLU... ;)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An interesting story, glad you shared Prester
    Glen McGuire

A Life Lived in Fear, Is a Life Half Lived.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flyv65
    but I can't recall offhand a time they didn't come down on the side of the Constitution, despite popular opinion.
    If you exclude the 2nd Amendment, that is.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast