X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Simple Sgian Dubh questions

I've searched lots of other sgian dubh threads and been unable to find a mention of these particular questions. Pardon me if they have already been covered elsewhere...

1. When one actually withdraws the knife to use it, does the sheath remain in the hose or does one withdraw the entire unit and then unsheath it?

2. What are your feelings on the comfort of various sheath materials? Is leather a better choice than wood for someone who is actively tromping about all day?

3. Is one material or design better at staying put rather than sliding down into the hose? (or is this even a problem?)

Thanks.
    Bill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me try to answer in order:

1) My knife comes out of the sheath, the sheath stays in the hose.

2) I have leather, heavy cordura, and a firm plastic-I prefer the leather.

3) The leather works best for me of the 3 types I have.

Bryan...HTH...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually take the sheath out with the knife. It's easier for me to put it back that way. Probably partly because the sheath fits the blade pretty tightly and I can't put the knife in without 2 hands. You want to have a reasonably tight fit. I borrowed a sgien dubh once that was real loose. The sheath slipped off and slid down inside the hose to my shoe. That left the bare blade inside the hose. The tip cut through before I noticed it, which pretty much ruined that hose. I also tend to wear it pushed fairly far into the hose. I don't like to have the whole handle showing, partly for looks and partly for stability. If I were to take out the knife and leave the sheath, I'd need to fish it out to put the knife back.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sheath stays in the hose for me. And I definitly prefer leather.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I'd leave the sheath in the hose, using my thumb to steady the sheath while drawing the blade out.

A flat leather sheath is the most comfortable to wear and most likely to stay put.

If the Sgian does slip down then it's likely to be caught by the ferrule and lower grip pattern rather than going all the way to your ankle.

Rab

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan Hiker
    I've searched lots of other sgian dubh threads and been unable to find a mention of these particular questions. Pardon me if they have already been covered elsewhere...

1. When one actually withdraws the knife to use it, does the sheath remain in the hose or does one withdraw the entire unit and then unsheath it?

2. What are your feelings on the comfort of various sheath materials? Is leather a better choice than wood for someone who is actively tromping about all day?

3. Is one material or design better at staying put rather than sliding down into the hose? (or is this even a problem?)

Thanks.
    Bill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually cheat, and having lost a skean dhu when hill walking, and on occasion had it slip down my sock--I have a leather strap [once a dog collar], it keeps everything in place and makes it easy to draw/replace with the least fiddling.

I've never noticed any discomfort from the skean dhu-so cannot comment.

James

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I 've got a leather sheath for mine. It I give the handle a slight turn as I draw, it comes out with the knife. When I'm done with the knife I put the sheath back on and put the whole thing back as one unit. If I draw straight out, my sheath will stay in the sock. But putting it back in takes a little extra care.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never actually used my skean dhu for anythig but opening letters. I doubt that it could even cut soft cheese. I have two of those ornimental skean dhus that you canget at any Scottish store or web site. They really are not ment to be used. When I want to cut something I take my pocket knife out of my sporan.

Does anyone actually have a functional skean dhu?