X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ordered my Nightstalker today. They finally have my size in stock. Can't wait till it arrives!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked at SWK's sale page, and found a MacTavish heavyweight in my size. It was only $80 + $9 shipping, so I figured I couldn't go wrong. I was right! It is lovely! I know, you get what you pay for, but it is wool, warm for our cooler temperatures and it looks like it's made well. No, it doesn't hang or feel as nice as my $700 Burnetts & Struth 13 oz middleweight kilt, but even with a non-sale price of $122, I don't think anyone could go wrong.

While my only connection with MacTavish, is that the clan's roots are close to my grandmother's (Currie) Argyl district of Scotland, it will serve a purpose, such as general-purpose kilt-wearing, attending Kilt nights and for travel. I will be ordering some acrylic standards in the future. For travel to southern/Caribbean destinations, the acrylic should be all I'd need.

One note: I measured my now "inflated" size and came up with 36". Normally, I'd be about 35" wearing 34" double-pleated slacks. STW's 36" fits me at the tightest notch in the buckle. I thought a 36" SWK may fit from 35-37 inches, but it seems their 36" is 36" or larger. The same is true with my SKs so in future, I'd might order one size smaller to SK's medium, and try SWK's 34", although, it's really easy to move over the leather strap on the left inside.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mactavish? Was it a "one of"? I'm surprised he had it in wool.

Edit for MTOJ's edit: That's a screaming deal! That's why it pays to hit Jerry's web site every few days. Especially this time of year. If you look back to this time last year, Jerry was creating a huge stir about the 2006 Standard upgrades and the Saffron.
    Last edited by cavscout; 1st December 06 at 10:17 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on bagging a great kilt!!!!! (No I'm not biased!)

Edit: I'm sure I read somewhere that he had a custom order for MacTavish kilts from a band or something. Maybe a few extras.
    In Scotland, there is no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes. - Billy Connolly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine should be here any day now as well .. can't wait!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutniagara View Post
    I looked at SWK's sale page, and found a MacTavish heavyweight in my size. It was only $80 + $9 shipping, so I figured I couldn't go wrong. I was right! It is lovely! I know, you get what you pay for, but it is wool, warm for our cooler temperatures and it looks like it's made well. No, it doesn't hang or feel as nice as my $700 Burnetts & Struth 13 oz middleweight kilt, but even with a non-sale price of $122, I don't think anyone could go wrong.
    ScoutNiagara, I just tried e-mailing you, but it bounced, so I will suspend my rule about no business correspondence on message boards.

You should be aware that is NOT a wool kilt, nor was it ever advertised as a wool HW. It is an acrylic standard model. We made a huge batch of MacTavish standard kilts for one of the MacTavish organizations and it was a left-over prototype.

I do apologise if you thought it was wool, as it was specifically listed as a standard model and priced as such. If you wish to return it, please e-mail us.

Jerry V
    SWK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy new kilt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12