X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kilt Info

Southern Breeze is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilt Info

The HCA Festival in Dalton Ga is planned May 6&7. This is in my backyard so to speak. http://www.hcaheritagefestival.org/
    I'm thinking of renting space for a tent. The idea is to present info on:
    The diffrent Kiltmakers available.
    The diffrent types of kilts.
    Info on X-Marks.

Any and all tips,ideas etc. will be appreciated. This is in the "lets look at it and see" stage of developement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A brief word of warning

Sounds like a good idea.

My only thought, is that you may be better off just making a business card of brochure to pass out to people. The booth will be a big personal expense (time and money) with little to no payback for you. Now if you were representing a specific company(ies) that were either giving you a discount on product or a freebie (does that exist?) than I could see the benefit. It is a great idea and it shows that you have a big heart and a desire to promote kilt wearing to more people, which is very admirable.

Promoting a specific company may also be better suited for a Celtic event, as promoting kilts to a group that (most) already know about kilts is like preaching to the choir. Promoting an alternative to a traditional wool kilt that can be worn day-day may see better results.

Just my 2 cents. I still think it is an admirable idea and one that I am sure you would have fun with

Southern Breeze is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Colin,those are good points. This is still in the thinking stage so I'm not commited one way or the other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it's only $60 for a booth without electricity, which is a fai amount but if you had anything to sell you could make it worth it.
    They might even give you a discount if you write to them directly and tell them you have an educational booth...

Or if any of the folks in the area rent kilts, you could ask them to give you a corner!

I would go a little further though- maybe make up a quick sheet in the dos and don't of wearing a kilt, formal and informal, and have some humor, like the top ten answers to "What's under your kilt?"- something that folks can take home.

Oh- you could always apply as a volunteer rather than a booth operator, too!
    Last edited by Shay; 28th February 06 at 11:11 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep us updated on this...My folks live not far from Dalton and I may just make the trip up there. Maybe I can give you a hand if you need it.
    John

Graham is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any promotion of the kilt is a great idea. I've done a few such booths myself.
    What Colin says shows great wisdom, if you can enlist the support of kiltmakers (sample kilts, accessories, cards, stickers, posters etc to display) or work with a related organisation (New World Celts, St.Andrew Soc, Caledonian Soc.).

I'm sure any of these groups would appreciate someone with your motivation and enthusiasm.

I'm doing the same at present, trying to organise a festival to celebrate Tartan Day (July 1 here).
    I'm approaching local groups, councils, mayors, Pipe bands and retailers to make it happen.
    some jobs are just too big to do alone, mind you, getting others to share your passion can be an uphill battle.

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham
    Any promotion of the kilt is a great idea. I've done a few such booths myself.
    What Colin says shows great wisdom, if you can enlist the support of kiltmakers (sample kilts, accessories, cards, stickers, posters etc to display) or work with a related organisation (New World Celts, St.Andrew Soc, Caledonian Soc.).

I'm sure any of these groups would appreciate someone with your motivation and enthusiasm.
    To echo what Graham says, you might contact COSCA, the Council of Scottish Clan Associations, and see if they will have an information tent at the games. Both COSCA and SDFA (Scottish District Families Association) usually have resources available for folks to "look up" their Scottish ancestors -- a "clan clearinghouse" of sorts. I also agree with Graham that the local Cally or St. Andrew's Society is a good group to work with as well.

Cheers,

Todd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rather than rent a booth...just get a nice bright t-shirt made up with the phrase "Ask me what's under my kilt" on the front and back. Then just walk around distributing knowledge and wisdom to those who ask :mrgreen:

Seriously, great idea. And I think it would definitely impact many people on many levels. It could genereate some heated discussion on some peoples parts when you start educating the un-educated. Kind of like Guttenburg printing the bible so everyone could read it themselves

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More food for thought. Keep it coming and thanks.
    Quick addition- the majority of people here are only aware of the traditional and thus expensive kilts. They're suprised at the cost of my Stillwaters.
    Last edited by Southern Breeze; 1st March 06 at 06:52 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Southern Breeze,

Thanks for the information on the event web site.
    I was looking for some information on this event, this must be the "Highland Games" at Dalton GA, that I was asking about yesterday.

I am planning on attending but expect to be working in one of the clan booths.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast