X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sporran alternatives

I have another question that, or maybe it's a suggestion that. As I will be ordering my first kilt real soon (pay day), I have been trying to decide which sporran I should get too. ( Yes, in responce to my earlier post, I have decided I will wear a sporran.) Today, I happened to wander into an army navy store, and saw a few different style of bags, the size of a sporran, and thought that anyone of these might make a suitable alternative. All of these bags could have been worn in the same fashion as a sporran, but none where leather, rather nylon. Most tempting was a fleece lined nylon canteen bag. They where available in black, and green. They would only be appropriate for casual settings, but they made me think. Anyway, just wondering what others might think of the idea, and what others might already be using as an alternate.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go for it. Sporrans don't have to be leather, it just so happends that most are. If you check out SWK's they have a sporran made from nylon.http://pro.channeladvisor.com/storef...9&aid=32406993. Either way you go, wear you cilt with pride.

Southern Breeze is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got the new sporran from Stillwater and it is N-I-C-E. At work or hiking I use a fannypack.
    If you do a search on the word sporran you'll find all sorts of alternates.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some members have found old leather ammo pouches to use. very different look but maintains the image very well.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found some Ren Faire pouches that work well for sporrans and I've found Native American made pouches that work well for sporrans. Culture blending can be fun. Some pics in my gallery....wish I knew where...enjoy the hunt if you've a mind to.

I've also found some tempting deals in hardware stores and college bookstores.

Main thing, as above, BE CREATIVE! Use your imagination, and don't be afraid to push the envelope.

Ron
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Occasionally people post looking for non-leather/fur sporrans, and, browsing for ideas on my first "modern" kilt, I came across the Union Kilts Fury Sporran which is made with imitation fur. It's also available in grey and in white.

The price is 29 pounds, which, I suppose translates to about 60 bucks, but it seems like a good alternative to those looking for a dress sporran, but don't want to use a pelt.
    Last edited by MacMullen; 11th March 06 at 12:17 AM.