X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

South Side Chicago Pipes Competition

I'm going to cross post this in Celtic Music as well...if that's all right with the Powers That Be...

It turns out that they're (they being the Midwest Bag Pipe Players Association or something like that) having their piping competition about two blocks away from my home on the South Side of Chicago. We went past a couple of days ago and saw a sign out front of the church on the corner of 103rd Street and Wood and they're having the individual competition today, March 25! I just moseyed over there and checked it out and it's pretty good...all these guys in kilts taking hours to tune up!

The punch line is that they're having the competition for the pipe BANDS at the same place in two weeks...April 8. The admission is FREE...cause let's face it...making somebody listen to bagpipes and then CHARGING them for it is adding insult to injury, isn't it?

So if any of you want to find your way over on the 8th, let me know and I'll provide directions. This goes on all day...there is a really decent Italian Deli right near by with tables...as far as a place to find a pint; all the bars are on the West side of Western Avenue...this central residential district is dry...but there most of them are Celtic-tolerant, so an influx of kilted folks would probably be welcome.

Let me know and I'll post further details...I'm going to wander back over there in a little while and see how it's going.

Best

AA

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (BUMP)

The pipe band competition goes on tomorrow...it's the Midwest Pipe Band Association event.

http://www.pdcpd.org/mwpba/

...and it's followed by an event for the Stock Yards Kilty Band at a joint called Bourbon Street tht's not too far away...daughter and I anticipate goint to the Kity Band's event...I grew up literally across the street from the Chicago Stock Yards and have fond rememberences of the Kilty Band from my childhood...

http://www.sykb.com/

...if you get tempted, message me if you're thinking about coming.

Best

AA