X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

X Marks Tents at Gatherings

At Ardenwood Some of us were talking about having tents to carry the message to others who still suffer bifurcated garments! It would also give us a place to mingle and relax with the kilted brethern. My regional chieftan offered some space at his tent (Clan Cian) but, we need a banner any ideas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps someone could have a banner printed up by some sign shop that looks similar to this:

Just a suggestion.

I know I'd like to "work" such a tent.

3389 Schuylkill Rd, Spring City, PA 19475
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    2 options...

FIRST: Check with Graham! He's a FANTASTIC signmaker. He's made a vynil one for us as well as an outdoor sign in the shape of our crest. Not sure what his prices are as we did things on trade.

Second: http://onlinesigns.biz/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, one of those 10 x 10 fold-up tents that all the clans use is not that expensive.

I have 4+ yards of gray stewart crepe material...totally inappropriate for kits, for a tablecloth. I also have some red tablecloths. I can borrow a folding table from church.

Kinkos can make a vinyl sign (for about $30), and I have access to a VERY large format printer (for a few more weeks anyway) that can turn out an "X Marks" sign. We bang out 200 half-page color handouts about X Marks, grab a coule of tartan books and some stuff about our advertisers and settle in.

Not a problem.

Graham, what would you charge to make a 2 foot by three foot X Marks sign, with the tartan on it?

Kilted KT is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be more than happy to help come up with ideas and anything else to make this happen.

I have some software to design business cards, and can design and print some off if it would be of any help!

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

devil's advocate...

Let me play devil's advocate here and ask: what exactly will you be doing at the games, besides promoting Xmarks? I believe this question was raised before in another thread when someone brought this idea up -- which kiltmakers will you be promoting, and will the vendors at the games like that? I know at some games I have attended, the clan tents have to be very careful in what they sell because the vendors don't want competition -- I'm not saying I agree with that, but it's still something to consider.

Also, many games & festivals charge registration fees, rentals, etc. -- who will pay for that. Again, something to discuss before the tent ever goes up.

And, in regards to tartan identification, you may be in someone else's "bailiwick", such as the Council of Scottish Clans and Associations (COSCA), the Scottish District Families Association (SDFA), the Tartan Educational & Cultural Association (TECA), etc. These organisations will sometimes provide information tents for clan/tartan look-ups, etc.

Not trying to "rain on anyone's parade", but just giving food for thought before anyone spends any major amounts of money.

Cheers,

Todd

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Todd's comments are very near to my own point of view about Xmarks...it exist as a sort of kilt-advocacy group and care has to be taken to keep it sort of "neutral" in the kilt hierarchy. It would be unfair to advocate or to even seem to advocate one style of kilt or any particular kiltmakers...the idea is to promote the everyday wearing of the kilt in situations, as it says, other than highland games or celtic fests or whatever. As much fun as it is to spread the word about Xmarks and kiltwearing it's obvious that one would have to tread lightly and respect some of the other organizations' "turf".

I always favor the "soft sell" approach. Buttons or bumper stickers that get them to ask or to look up the URL. I think that you'd be preaching to the choir at highland games...if there's anyone there who DOESN'T own a kilt when they arrive, they'll be seriously thinking about getting one by the time they leave...not to mention the opportunity to make arrangements with one of the vendors present to either buy a ready made on the spot or place an order. The trick is to get those marginally interested or those who aren't quite sure that they can carry it off to come to this forum and get some info and support....not to mention that you guys are some of the funniest and most literate people posting on the web. That's what Xmarks does well...act as a support group.

Best

AA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we dont advertise kilts its a registered Irish Clan Booth

the only thing we do is help people to find where their familys were/could have been located

we sell clan tshirts and cap badges
    Last edited by switchblade5984; 11th April 06 at 01:45 PM.

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

further...

Quote Originally Posted by auld argonian
    Todd's comments are very near to my own point of view about Xmarks...it exist as a sort of kilt-advocacy group and care has to be taken to keep it sort of "neutral" in the kilt hierarchy. It would be unfair to advocate or to even seem to advocate one style of kilt or any particular kiltmakers...the idea is to promote the everyday wearing of the kilt in situations, as it says, other than highland games or celtic fests or whatever. As much fun as it is to spread the word about Xmarks and kiltwearing it's obvious that one would have to tread lightly and respect some of the other organizations' "turf".

I always favor the "soft sell" approach. Buttons or bumper stickers that get them to ask or to look up the URL. I think that you'd be preaching to the choir at highland games...if there's anyone there who DOESN'T own a kilt when they arrive, they'll be seriously thinking about getting one by the time they leave...not to mention the opportunity to make arrangements with one of the vendors present to either buy a ready made on the spot or place an order. The trick is to get those marginally interested or those who aren't quite sure that they can carry it off to come to this forum and get some info and support....not to mention that you guys are some of the funniest and most literate people posting on the web. That's what Xmarks does well...act as a support group.

Best

AA
    To further AA's comments:

I've been setting up clan tents now for about 6 years now, and based on my experience, most folks make a quick breeze through clan row, unless they are on a "mission" to find their clan/family (and have usually been sent by someone at the COSCA/SDFA tent) -- And you'll have quite a few folks that will not know what "Xmarks" is and will probably not stop at all.

Also, the games/festival may not classify this type of tent as a traditional "clan" -- so you might end up a "vendor", and have to pay. Not all games are going to understand what you're trying to do either, and as AA said, most folks already at the games are "kilt-friendly" anyway.

I agree with AA: a t-shirt, sticker, etc. will be more effective, because people will stop and ask where you got it, and now you have a captive audience to tell them about Xmarks. Another option would be to take up the rep for Clan Cian for space in his tent, and make a wee sign (laminated) to hang with the Xmarks logo (you'll need to clear that wi' Hank, btw) which might attract visitors' attention. I know the Clan McFritz, a "chum-and-chowder, tounge-in-cheek" group at the games does this: www.mcfritz.com.
    It also gives the Xmarks folks a place to hang out, store stuff, etc. I know the Springfield Scots that go to the St. Louis Games usually hang around my tent.

Cheers,

Todd

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by switchblade5984
    we dont advertise kilts its a registered Irish Clan Booth

the only thing we do is help people to find where their familys were/could have been located

we sell clan tshirts and cap badges
    Like most other Scottish/Irish clan/family associations, including my own -- I was referring to a possible Xmarks tent, not the Clan Cian tent. See my most recent post.

T.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast