X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Kirkin o' the Tartans

I believe we're entering a season when some places hold an annual commemoration of Scots heritage called the "Kirkin' o' the Tartans." On another kilt-related forum, Sporran Clan, a U.K. based member asked about this event, since it seems to be unknown outside of North America.

I present a reply to his question from a fellow-American Sporran Clan member. I don't know if he composed the piece himself or "borrowed" it from another source; nor do I know how accurate this information is. At any rate, it seems like a good history of the event and may be useful to some members and an opportunity for sharing additional background on this very Scots observance.

Michael

<QUOTE>

This is one of the histories of the Kirkin O' The Tartan Service but it is fairly accurate to my knowledge:

The Kirkin' o' the Tartans is basically North American as far as tradition goes; yet its origins are as deeply rooted in the lore of Scottish history as the legend of Braveheart itself. In the year 563 AD, St. Columba, having discovered the tiny isle of Iona in Scotland, had succeeded in converting the previously paganist Picts to Christianity. The resulting Church soon became a primal piece in the fabric of day-to-day Scottish life.

Now, if ye know yer Scottish culture, ye know that Scots have always displayed strong Christian convictions, no matter what faiths they worship under. Moreover, they steadfastly observe Sunday as a high holy day, in accordance with the Fourth of the Ten Commandments --- "Remember the Sabbath day; to keep it holy."

Now, let's learn where the tartan part of this tale comes in. Tartans have long played a major role in Scotland's history and culture. In the beginning, the various tartans of all known Clansmen represented the people of certain districts; in later years, however, the tartans came to stand for all Scottish Clans, including their septs and families --- regardless of whatever name they bore.

The original dyes which were used to color the wool were usually made from the vegetables grown in each family's garden, whereas the fabric undoubtedly came from the wool of the sheep that they raised. In that sense, the tartan often stood as a symbol of the hard labor and diligence of the Scotsmen.

As the life and work of the Scots was depicted via the composition of the tartans, so too was Christianity and the Kirk interwoven into their family lives and traditions. How fitting, then, that the idea might come to pass that the tartan should be brought to the Kirk to be blessed before the Lord.

Over the years, as both the tartans and the Scottish Church evolved, most Clansmen and their families would explore new, innovative ways to wear their colours proudly, while simultaneously observing the Lord's Day as they saw fit. Among the most frequent of these observances was the Sunday Tartan Service, during which the Sunday or dress kilt was often worn. This was a finer-quality woolen kilt with more white wool than that of the average everyday kilt.

Now, as many of you who know your Scottish history are aware, Scotland's tartans played significant roles in the Highlanders' dress codes, as well as in their distinct battle uniforms. As the English ultimately discovered, the tartan was, more than anything else, central to the Scots' overall identity and purpose. In fact, it was, putting it bluntly, their most common link. Because of this, each year an annual service was held at which the Clansfolk, dressed in their finest tartan colours, rededicated each other to their Heavenly Father; and praised Him in eternal gratitude for His having watched over them during the year just past.

Some historians tell us that an event much like the aforedescribed took place around the time of the Protestant Reformation in the 1500's. But by the time of the events culminating in the Proscription Act of 1746, it had become illegal to wear or even to display the tartan, much less play the bagpipes or sing Highland songs. As a result, the Rededication Service obviously could not be held.

Yet the Scotsfolk remained determined to hold fast to their ancient identities and the true meaning of their blessed rites. To that end, a sort of 'underground' Kirkin' o' the Tartans would often be held. The Clansfolk would usually walk to their nearest Kirk in an orderly fashion, sometimes carrying upon their person swatches of the material, appropriately concealed, to be 'kirked'. Then, at a time and pre-arranged signal known only to both clergy and parishioners, the Clansmen and Clanswomen would fondle their tiny tartan bits, while the presiding minister blessed the cloth in fluent Scottish Gaelic.

At this point, the history of the Kirkin' o' the Tartans becomes rather vague in terms of its continuance throughout history. Though the Rededication Sunday Service was eventually restored, no further references to such a service are known to be recorded in any subsequent printed histories of Scotland. And so, fast forward to the mid-20th Century..... and a man named Dr. Peter Marshall.

Many historians of the Kirkin' o' the Tartans agree that it was Dr. Marshall who, on April 27th, 1941, presided over the first Kirkin' o' the Tartans ceremony ever held on American soil. The event took place in Washington, D.C., at what was then known as the New York Avenue Presbyterian Church. At the time, Dr. Marshall --- himself a native Scotsman, having been born in Glasgow --- was Chaplain of the St. Andrew's Society of Washington, D.C. As a result of his pioneering efforts as Presiding Minister for this first U.S. Kirkin', Dr. Marshall was named the very first Chaplain of the United States Senate --- a post he would hold for what proved to be the final three years of his life. Eventually, Dr. Marshall's widow, Catherine, recounted her late husband's life, deeds and service to his Lord in her now-classic yet completely hard-to-find biography, A Man Called Peter. In 1955, under Henry Koster's direction, 20th Century-Fox's film version of A Man Called Peter became one of the last U.S.-based productions to star veteran London-born actor Richard Todd. Todd's performance as the adult Dr. Marshall has often been considered a classic piece of acting, and an inspiration to the would-be priests and/or clergymen all across America who obviously saw and heard their calling through this relatively rarely-known chapter in the annals of American --- and Scottish --- history.

Since 1954, the Kirkin' o' the Tartans as conceived by Dr. Peter Marshall has been held at Washington, D.C.'s historic National Cathedral; with its sermon being delivered by the Presiding, or Senior Minister of the Washington, D.C. Catholic Archdiocese; or by a special guest speaker, primarily one of Scottish and/or Scottish-American background. There are similar Kirkin' o' the Tartans services staged in cathedrals across all 50 States, as well as similar ceremonies held throughout Canada. Some of these are very formal, while others are more casual; this depends, of course, upon the character of both the church setting and the preference of the event coordinators. A Kirkin' may be held at any given time of the year; but the three most popular occurrences usually are: the early-to-middle Spring season; Robert Burns' birthday (this may vary in certain circles); and, during November, St. Andrew's Day.

Most Scottish Games in the U.S. are occasionally two-, three-, or four-day weekend events; the Kirkin' o' the Tartans is often a top event on these specific schedules, and is often led by a local clergy- or lay-person.

<UNQUOTE>

Kilted KT is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent research. I myself was a bit confused as to exactly that was...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed, looks pretty good. I've been asked to celebrate the Kirkin' O' The Tartans at this years Irish and Scottish Festival at the Stark County Fairgrounds in Canton, OH this June 3rd. Should be fun, especially after the wonderful success of our St. Andrew's Day Kirkin'. Here is the recording from our "Kirkin'" at Holy Assumption.

http://holyassumption.net/rector.html

Just scroll down and click the link.

Thanks to PM Tim Wiley for "Lord Lovatt's Lament" and "Scotland the Brave" on the pipes.

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The last two paragraphs in that article, basically eveything from Peter Marshall on, are pretty accurate. Everything before that is pretty much fanciful legend.

The truth of it is that there was nothing representing a "Kirkin'' o the Tartan" service held at any church, of any denomination, in Scotland prior to modern times. Most churches in Scotland still don't have any service like this!

The fact that it is only celebrated with regularity in North America should be a big clue. That's because it originated in North America in the mid-twentieth century. It is only because it has become so populat at Highland Games here that it has spread to other countries such as Australia (though it is still not as popular as it is in America).

Simply put, there is absolutely no historic reason to believe anything like a Kirkin' of the Tartan service was held at any church in Scotland in the past. St. Columba & Bonnie Prince Charlie would find anything like that completely foreign, despite being invoked in many "Kirkin" programs across the country.

Aye,
    Matt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well said.

The Saints of Scotland were busy Kirkin' their people!

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many thanks to Michael and Matt for that information. As a mere Brit I have never known what 'Kirkin the Tartan ' was/is about, and have been too lazy to 'Google' it!! I'll ask our Parish Vicar, who is a Scot through and through, what he knows of it. My guess is - nothing!
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Bob C is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    The beautiful Catskill Mountains of Upstate New York
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Though not a religious man, I attend a kirkin' each year at a small Presbyterian church near here.

I go because the minister and several members of the pipe band are friends of mine and because it's another good reason to wear my kilt.

It's a nice event, regardless of its origins. All traditions were new at some point.
    Virtus Ad Aethera Tendit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for posting the sevice. I enjoyed it.

Frank McGrath

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kirkin'...

Quote Originally Posted by M. A. C. Newsome
    The last two paragraphs in that article, basically eveything from Peter Marshall on, are pretty accurate. Everything before that is pretty much fanciful legend.

The truth of it is that there was nothing representing a "Kirkin'' o the Tartan" service held at any church, of any denomination, in Scotland prior to modern times. Most churches in Scotland still don't have any service like this!

The fact that it is only celebrated with regularity in North America should be a big clue. That's because it originated in North America in the mid-twentieth century. It is only because it has become so populat at Highland Games here that it has spread to other countries such as Australia (though it is still not as popular as it is in America).

Simply put, there is absolutely no historic reason to believe anything like a Kirkin' of the Tartan service was held at any church in Scotland in the past. St. Columba & Bonnie Prince Charlie would find anything like that completely foreign, despite being invoked in many "Kirkin" programs across the country.

Aye,
    Matt
    Ironically, the closest thing in Scottish history to the Kirkin' service originated in the Lowlands, and not the Highlands -- outlawed Scottish Presbyterians known as Covenanters, supporters of the National Covenant and the Solemn League & Covenant, which basically stated that Scotland was a Presbyterian, Protestant nation, held secret outdoor services known as conventicles, with armed sentries patroling the perimeter for government dragoons.

The Cameronian Regiment, the only British Army regiment to be raised on religious principles (named for Covenanter leader Richard Cameron's sect) would post sentries at the four corners of the Kirk for Sunday church parade, and the Padre could not begin the service until an officer gave the "All Clear!"

As Matt said, most of the story of the Kirkin' that you hear in the US is pure myth. The real story, that of Rev. Marshall, is far more impressive, INMHO, and as Bob said, traditions have to begin somewhere -- why not make it a "Scottish-American Church Parade" rather than trying to drag Culloden and the '45 into it, when there is no such evidence for it?

Cheers,

Todd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My understanding of the tradition is that all of the parts after 1746 are correct.

I am basing my understanding on the history provided by my Scottish born and educated Presbyterian Minister, who came to our church from the Church of Scotland. Maybe some of the Scottish members of the forum can help us out with this.

I have never discussed this with him in detail, but I have always read and heard from other sources that the tradition began with Dr. Peter Marshall.

It is a very inspiring service, those of you who have not attended a Kirkn' service have missed a truly inspirational experience. I usually participate in two Kirkn' services a year.
    Last edited by Cawdorian; 17th April 06 at 05:36 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast