X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Help me find my tartan(s).

I've been looking and looking and just haven't been able to find tartans that I have a definite connection with. I served in the USAF, but I've only found one site that shows a USAF tartan, and it appears identical to the one I've seen all over the web identified as the USAF Reserve tartan. One cite is not definitive.

As far as clan tartans, I am descended from Scottish, English, Dutch, Irish, and Cherokee ancestors (that I am aware of, anyway) and I can't seem to find tartans associated with any of them.

My family name is Dunehew (a variant spelling of Donohue). I'll just provide a list of the family names from which I descend:

1. Woods (grandmother's family name)
    2. Felts (other grandmother's (OG's) FN)
    3. Ford (great grandma's (GG's) family name)
    4. Pendleton (OGG's family name)
    5. Carpenter
    6. Hennessee
    7. Wood (no apparent relation to above grandmother)
    8. Thorpe
    9. Frost
    10. Merritt
    11. Cooper

According to family history, at least someone in this crowd is Scottish, and some others are Irish. I'm certain someone here might actually recognise one of the above names and be able to say "It's very simple. Family name "X" is a sept of the "Y" clan, and these links show their tartans." I've been looking for a couple of weeks and I've given up looking on my own.

Help me, Obi-Wan! You're my only hope.

--SSgt Baloo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

some help for you

Try these web pages:

http://.electricscotland.com/tartans/quick.htm

http://www.electricscotland.com/webclans/septs.htm

http://.electricscotland.com/webclans/alphabetical.htm

http://ww.electricscotland.com/webclans/spellings.htm

These should get you started. Do not take any of it as Gospel untill you can confirm what you finf there. I would visit the Scottish Tartans Museum Website and ask them further questions in an email. Their links are all through out xmarks...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Baloo
    I've been looking and looking and just haven't been able to find tartans that I have a definite connection with. I served in the USAF, but I've only found one site that shows a USAF tartan, and it appears identical to the one I've seen all over the web identified as the USAF Reserve tartan. One cite is not definitive.

As far as clan tartans, I am descended from Scottish, English, Dutch, Irish, and Cherokee ancestors (that I am aware of, anyway) and I can't seem to find tartans associated with any of them.

My family name is Dunehew (a variant spelling of Donohue). I'll just provide a list of the family names from which I descend:

1. Woods (grandmother's family name)
    2. Felts (other grandmother's (OG's) FN)
    3. Ford (great grandma's (GG's) family name)
    4. Pendleton (OGG's family name)
    5. Carpenter
    6. Hennessee
    7. Wood (no apparent relation to above grandmother)
    8. Thorpe
    9. Frost
    10. Merritt
    11. Cooper

According to family history, at least someone in this crowd is Scottish, and some others are Irish. I'm certain someone here might actually recognise one of the above names and be able to say "It's very simple. Family name "X" is a sept of the "Y" clan, and these links show their tartans." I've been looking for a couple of weeks and I've given up looking on my own.

Help me, Obi-Wan! You're my only hope.

--SSgt Baloo
    Here's the best I could do for you.

http://mcdade.bravepages.com/

Mcdade is a sept of clan Davidson, and I found Merritt in the names list on this site.

Wear what appeals to you, and you can always go with a district, or national tarton, Ireland national (Hennessey), USA national, etc.
    Convener, Georgia Chapter, House of Gordon (Boss H.O.G.)

Where 4 Scotsmen gather there'll usually be a fifth.
    7/5 of the world's population have a difficult time with fractions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tartans

Wood Taran

Cooper Tartan

US Military Tartans

Now, I found 2 Wood tartans (thread count seemed slightly different in each) and there were several Couper/Cooper tartans. Some of these names in your background (the Scottish/English ones) might be what some call border names. Meaning the borders of Scotland and England, usually English in origin, now as much Scottish as English.... Again I hope this helps!

My Site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

messed up

US Military Tartans

that should work!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do a search here on the USAF tartan. I myself served in the USAF and had a thread going for a brief time here on the tartan. The USAF tartan (AKA the Lady Jane) is NOT an 'official' tartan for the USAF or the USAFR. The USAFR pipeband does however wear it. AND, many members/former members identify with it as the USAF tartan. I personally identify with it. And, if I can ever manage to get my pennies in one basket I'm going to have Kathy Lare sew one up for me.

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post USAF tartan

Quote Originally Posted by Tattoobradley
    Do a search here on the USAF tartan. I myself served in the USAF and had a thread going for a brief time here on the tartan. The USAF tartan (AKA the Lady Jane) is NOT an 'official' tartan for the USAF or the USAFR. The USAFR pipeband does however wear it. AND, many members/former members identify with it as the USAF tartan. I personally identify with it. And, if I can ever manage to get my pennies in one basket I'm going to have Kathy Lare sew one up for me.

All of the correspondence and materials I have received from the USAFR Band indicates the opposite, TB; the USAFR does, in some capacity, recognize the USAFR (Lady Jane) tartan as an "official" tartan. And the USAF (not the reserve band) Pipes and Drums wore the "Mitchell" tartan, not the Lady Jane, until their disbandment in the late 1960's. While the reserve band claims to trace their roots, some literature indicates they were actually two seperate bodies. I'm still gathering sources and I am still waiting for a USAFR band member to contact me regarding the history of the associated USAF tartans, but I would conclusively say that it is not recognized -- hopefully my research will clear this matter up.

Regards,

Todd

ps: I'll try to deal with the original question in this thread tomorrow!
    Last edited by macwilkin; 19th August 06 at 09:51 PM.

billmcc
    Here are a couple of non-clan tartans for you to consider:

The Irish American tartan:
    http://scottishkilts.net/products/5_...wool_kilt.html

The Scottish American tartan:
    http://scottishkilts.net/products/5_...yard_kilt.html

The American National tartan:
    http://www.tartans.scotland.net/tart...tartan_id=6260

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Thanks! I can't use some of the resources provided, however. My WebTV unit is a (very) dub terminal, and can't load large pages (the lists with all the family and clan names would've been nice to see) and can't parse some kinds of information properly, javascript being the one I an remember just now. Still, it's nice to see what the Wood and Cooper tartans look like. I live in California and there is an official California tartan so I know I can wear that one. Yes, I know I can wear any tartan I want to (except USMC in front of U.S. Marines ).

And I forgot to mention me mum's maiden name of Dover. Prolly just a plain ole English surname, that one.

--SSgt Baloo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from Carlisle England-There are loads of universal tartans availible, if you cant find a family one-ie. Black Watch-Flower of Scotland etc. Good luck with your search

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast