X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did any regiment wear Royal Stewart?

My uncle bought a Royal Stewart kilt off eBay several years ago. I asked for it, so he gave it to me. Too big for me, too small for him. It is supposed to be 95 years old and worn in WWI. It is hand pleated, but not well. Not pleated to anything in particular. Has no identifying label. I think that it is just an old kilt without any military affiliation.

On top of that it is worn out and won't hang straight. So a second question would be, what should I do with this? But for now what I want to know is, did any WWI Highland regiment wear Royal Stewart?
    Ron Stewart
    'S e ar roghainn a th' ann - - - It is our choices

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a look here. They also list Stewart of Bute, Stewart of Fingask, and (my personal favorite) Stewart Hunting.

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Royal Stewart...

A military issue kilt would have a label, similar to the one in this photo from another thread, with the broad arrow marking of the British Army:

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/s...8&postcount=17

The Royal Stewart tartan was awarded to regiments by the Sovereign, and usually worn by pipers; for instance, the pipers of the Black Watch wear it, whilst the drummers wear Government Sett. In 1933, the 300th anniversary of the raising of the Royal Scots, the oldest regiment of the line, King George V awarded the regiment the tartan, which is also worn by their pipers. Just two examples.

Cheers,

Todd