X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lexington, KY to Baltimore, MD (by bicycle)

In 2002 I began living a dream of mine – riding my bicycle across the United States. Unlike the footloose Andrew Breecher, my endeavor utilizes annual “segments” rather than several months all at once. The map below shows my past segments, the current route, and future plans.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e7...sam-posted.jpg

Four weeks from today I ship my touring bicycle to this year’s beginning point - Lexington, Kentucky. Five days later, on Saturday, June 10th, I fly there, too, where I reassemble the bike, load up the panniers, and start out on a two-week tour. My route makes me pedal eastward across Kentucky and Virginia to Richmond, then northward through Alexandria and Washington, D.C. to finish in Baltimore, Maryland. This year’s segment is a little over 900 miles. The brief schedule shows daily objectives.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e7...dailymiles.jpg

If any of you see a skinny guy on a bike that looks like the one below, be nice.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e7...s/atlantis.jpg

This American adventure is everything I hoped it would be. This country is incomprehensibly large, exquisitely varied and scenic, and inhabited by people with an exceedingly wide range of characteristics (mostly nice.) There are a few dogs which do not like cyclists, and swarms of mosquitoes which do. To see it from a saddle and handlebars, instead of behind a wheel and windshield, is my dream vacation.

I’m not opposed to small detours if it means I could meet some XMarks members along the way. I have conceded to carry a cell phone on this trip. PM me if you are interested. I’ve still a month to go.
    Last edited by way2fractious; 9th May 06 at 10:16 AM.
    "Listen Men.... You are no longer bound down to the unmanly dress of the Lowlander." 1782 Repeal.
    Lady From Hell vs Neighbor From Hell @ [url]http://way2noisy.blogspot.com[/url]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep us informed as teh date gets closer. I can try and make it down to Lexington to see you off.

Adam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by way2fractious
    The brief schedule shows daily objectives.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e7...Y-VA-miles.jpg

Ride Safe.
    Maryland is MD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ride safe and keep us posted!!
    [B]Paul Murray[/B]
    Kilted in Detroit! Now that's tough.... LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ride safe and enjoy some of the beautiful horse farms around Lexington. They're really special.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck on the ride. I like your choice of bike, I only lust after a Rivendell.

Jack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have fun!!

Make sure and keep that chamois in good shape!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in Lexington. I can tour guide, suggest eateries, etc. No horse racing here in June. There are two or three Irish pubs.
    Sounds like we'll finally get Adam down.
    Might be able to put a kilt night together.
    Let me know how to help.

David

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JackK
    I only lust after a Rivendell.
    Me, too, so I went with their "semi-custom" Atlantis, a spec. frame from Japan. It's designed for loaded touring and I also use it for commuting. Great bike, just pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by David Thornton
    Let me know how to help.
    I arrive at Bluegrass Airport late Saturday night and have reservations at a Best Western where my bike should be. Sunday morning can be fairly leisurely (perhaps a lingering breakfast or brunch somewhere) as I scheduled only a 50+ mile day to Ravenna. Other details via PM.
    "Listen Men.... You are no longer bound down to the unmanly dress of the Lowlander." 1782 Repeal.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's getting closer...

Boy, am I excited! Six days from now, Monday, June 5th, I ship my touring bike to Lexington, KY and I join it there on Saturday, June 10th. The next day I pedal eastward into the hills of eastern Kentucky on an 80-pound vehicle (just about half my weight) - actually, that's a 30-pound bike and 50 pounds of gear. Two weeks on the open road... camping, eating, riding, eating/drinking, more riding, taking some pictures, eating/drinking, and camping. (Did I mention eating? This vehicle burns more calories than you can imagine.) Woo-hoo! Bring on those downhills!

Each night I call my wife to let her know I'm alive and where I landed. Same with my office, so my co-workers can move the pin on the marked map (I always "share" my vacations with them.) Now, if I find the occassional library with internet access, I could drop a line here and maybe post some pictures, too.

Maybe I'll see some of you rabble on the road, if you let me know where you are and how to reach you. I'm pretty sure XMarks is represented in Lexington, Charlottesville, Fairfax, Reston, and Baltimore.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast