X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Retired Forum Adminstrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We hear everyone's thoughts and ideas and appreciate them. As Hank mentioned, we're looking to get this place upgraded to the latest version of the vBulletin software. ( <evil laughter> Wait until we get the new Infractions feature up and running in here </evil laughter>, where we can swat your wrists with a single mouseclick! )

There's been considerable discussion about posting images. Some feel they should be kilt-related only, but most like to see images from other places and events. We might see a split into some separate sub-forums or we might see a photo gallery added. All the options are being discussed, trust me.

It takes time ( and in some cases, a few dollars), so please be patient and let us get things up to date and we'll move on from there.

In the interim, there is an excellent option for uploading your images (RIVERKILT, ARE YOU PAYING ATTENTION?!?!?) called Photobucket. Upload your images there and Photobucket will even put the images' URLs inside IMG tags to be posted here on the forum. It's free and so easy, I wonder why people are struggling with other options.

Then again, Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V might be a bit too techie for some folks...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike, in no way am I trying to be a pain in the butt here (I genuinely don't know) but what are the photobucket terms of service like? I've read about some of these "free" hosting sites requiring that you give up a ridiculous license to the hosting company for any images you upload, it's one of the reasons I wouldn't use these sites.
    In Scotland, there is no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes. - Billy Connolly

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Mike,

Was just trying to centralize, gather the X Marks pics so they don't rotate off forever. My fault I didn't start sooner.

Did the IMFF gallery following Ham's lead and because they were there when I was looking for a gallery site. Don't recall why I passed on the photo bucket thing, but know I checked it out. Added the kilted photo gallery to support the guys on this board and offer another way in for those with firewall problems.

I love the kilt pics, think they're very helpful for those considering various tartans and style of kilts....

Appreciate all you guys do.

Ron
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacTavishOfJapan
    Mike, in no way am I trying to be a pain in the butt here (I genuinely don't know) but what are the photobucket terms of service like?
    Photobucket TOS

They simply require license to display your images in a public medium. Nothing sinister there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to hear, didn't think it would be dodgy if you had suggested it but thought I would check. Can't remember which site but one of these photo hosting sites required you to allow them to use your photo as they saw fit, including using it, altering it etc etc.
    Last edited by MacTavishOfJapan; 4th November 06 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Spelling
    In Scotland, there is no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes. - Billy Connolly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, if you've placed an image on the Internet, it's pretty much up for grabs, anyway. And not much you can do to stop it, unless you obliterate the image with a watermark.

I have an image, on my own forum, from a Clann an Drumma show in Sauchie, Clackmannashire. (this was prior to the departure of the present Albannach members) The event was organised by my former fiancee, who is a founding officer of Eachdraid Albannaich (Scottish History for All). A photographer was there to document the event and we jumped through all the legal hoops to get permission to use his images.

About 6 weeks later, an artist posted a 'original' pencil sketch of the band on the CaD forum. And it was quite 'original', alright, as this artist had copied this picture, leaving the Eachdraid Albannaich organizers out of the sketch.

I host all of my own images (and those I've permission to use) on my own Web sites. It's always frustrating to check the statistical logs for the site and see who is hot-linking my images. I like having them available for use in different venues, but I've had to block a few enterprising sites from using them.

(Which is something to keep in mind, for those that continue to hot-link images from third-party sites, BTW. It's called bandwidth theft, plain and simple and the owners of the images don't see YOU as having nicked the image, they see this site's owner as the thief.)

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1
    .................................................. .........................................
    Then again, Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V might be a bit too techie for some folks...
    Why? What do they do, Mike?
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are ways to make it so a picture cannot be coppied or saved from a web site, but I am not sure of them. One is with a picture over another, or something that prevents it from actually being copied or saved, and there are codes too, that don't allow it. But I have only read about them and never figured out how to do it.

DALE.

You don't have to be Scottish to be comfortable!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish
    Why? What do they do, Mike?
    Those are keyboard shortcuts for "copy" and "paste," respectively.

Quote Originally Posted by sorcererdale
    There are ways to make it so a picture cannot be coppied or saved from a web site. . .
    there are ways around everything

Most of the methods I've seen for preventing an image from being saved from a website have been a simple javascript that prevents the right-click menu from popping up, with little protection beyond that (which is simple to get around).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Chasem mentioned, if there's a will, there's a way.

You can protect the directories in which your images reside, but what's the sense of storing them online, if you cannot share them? And once you have displayed an image, then the barracudas move in.

Hamish, if you highlight a bit of text with your mouse and then press the Ctrl and C keys, that bit of text is copied onto a virtual clipboard. You can then go to another text entry window, be it a word processor or a forum reply window and press the Ctrl and V keys, which will paste that text into the new window.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast