X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW! Thanks Chasem and Mike. I had no idea! Still, I'm not sure that using those key combinations is any quicker, or easier, for me than using the drop down menu from 'Edit' at the top of my screen. As it is, I am never very happy with cutting and pasting - once I have cut, and the text disappears from my screen, I am secretly convinced that it has gone forever!! Whenever possible, I tend to 'copy', then I know the original still exists!

Having taught myself to use my PC, almost entirely without assistance and by trial and error at that (indeed, that's why I am with AOL for my internet connection!), there must be dozens of similar 'hints and wrinkles' such as the Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V that I know not of. I may be happy in my ignorance but is there a list of them available to the likes of me, that anyone knows of?
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish
    WOW! Thanks Chasem and Mike. I had no idea! Still, I'm not sure that using those key combinations is any quicker, or easier, for me than using the drop down menu from 'Edit' at the top of my screen. As it is, I am never very happy with cutting and pasting - once I have cut, and the text disappears from my screen, I am secretly convinced that it has gone forever!! Whenever possible, I tend to 'copy', then I know the original still exists!

Having taught myself to use my PC, almost entirely without assistance and by trial and error at that (indeed, that's why I am with AOL for my internet connection!), there must be dozens of similar 'hints and wrinkles' such as the Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V that I know not of. I may be happy in my ignorance but is there a list of them available to the likes of me, that anyone knows of?
    Here you go, Hamish:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/126449

Use CTRL-C to Copy, CTRL-X to delete.

Retired Forum Adminstrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's funny how some of those keystrokes are more familiar than the mouse actions that accomplish the same ends.

Ctrl-P is one I find I use a lot, along with Alt-F4.

Here's one that stumps people a lot, the degree symbol. Alt 0176 - °

Or how about the grave accents used in typing the Gàidhlig?

Alt 133 - à
    Alt 138 - è
    Alt 141 - ì
    Alt 149 - ò
    Alt 151 - ù

Or the pound sign, Alt 0163 - £
    And the Euro, Alt 0128 - €

As I communicate with several Scots on a daily basis, some of these have become second nature, as well. (Although one, a serious student of the Gàidhlig, jokingly refers to trying to remember how to type the 'gravy accents'. )

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my UK keyboard, to the right of the space bar, is a key called "Alt Gr".

When you hold it down and the press the vowel keys it puts the accents in áéíóú - it's just a pity my Gallic is so poor!
    [B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="1"]Reverend Earl Trefor the Sublunary of Kesslington under Ox, Venerable Lord Trefor the Unhyphenated of Much Bottom, Sir Trefor the Corpulent of Leighton in the Bucket, Viscount Mcclef the Portable of Kirkby Overblow.

Cymru, Yr Alban, Iwerddon, Cernyw, Ynys Manau a Lydaw am byth! Yng Nghiltiau Ynghyd!
    (Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Cornwall, Isle of Man and Brittany forever - united in the Kilts!)[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

Retired Forum Adminstrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a slick way to insert grave accents.

Here's one that I realize I've never noticed when across - I assume your keyboards have a pound sign (£) show up as a Shift-4? That is where our dollar sign ($) is located.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a $ sign on UK keyboards above the 4, the £ is above the 3 and by pressing that Alt Gr with the 4 we get the € thereby covering all the most important currencies

I did get to play with a US keyboard in the States last year, it's less difficult than a French keyboard.
    [B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="1"]Reverend Earl Trefor the Sublunary of Kesslington under Ox, Venerable Lord Trefor the Unhyphenated of Much Bottom, Sir Trefor the Corpulent of Leighton in the Bucket, Viscount Mcclef the Portable of Kirkby Overblow.

Cymru, Yr Alban, Iwerddon, Cernyw, Ynys Manau a Lydaw am byth! Yng Nghiltiau Ynghyd!
    (Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Cornwall, Isle of Man and Brittany forever - united in the Kilts!)[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123