X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Curling sweater

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Curling sweater

Hey, I'm a curler from the Washington, DC area.
    I've spent one curling season in a kilt. It's a sportkilt, which I'm trying to replace with something nicer as fast as I can, not too happy with it,but it's my first one, I'm entitled to a mistake.
    I'm looking at the stillwaterkilts wool heavyweight. Anyone reccomend these?
    Also- I wear a vintage '50's or '60's curling sweater with the kilt. Is this really acceptable, or is it just a matter of my personal taste?

Curling in a kilt. doesn't get much better than that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen several photos of guys in sweaters with kilts, so if the issue is that a curling sweater usually has pattern knitted into it, just be sure that you are choosing a tartan that coordinates with your vintage sweater, and it will look great!

I just got a PV SWK to see how it is, I like it, and now I'm thinking about getting one in heavyweight wool. For the money, it's probably a good start.

Oh, and welcome to the club.

Regards from Cincinnati,
    Rex.

Southern Breeze is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off, welcome! As for the sweater, nothing wrong there. What one wears with their kilt is a matter of personal taste.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, it's fun bringing things back in my curling league. First I found the sweater on ebay, now a couple people are wearing those. Now it's the kilt, a few of my friends are getting those for next season. I actually got an award at a bonspeil in NJ for "most traditional curler". Fun stuff
    I can get down a whole lot lower in my delivery with it on, so not only is it comfortable and cool looking, it's practical too.

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dinerman
    ...looking at the stillwaterkilts wool heavyweight. Anyone reccomend these?....
    Dinerman,

First off, W E L C O M E !

Second, Stillwater Kilts offer a lot of value for the money. I am extremely pleased with my Hunting McCleod Standard (acrylic) and love my Black "Shadow Tartan" wool heavyweight. For sports I would be tempted to go with the kilt that I could wash myself (like the Standard).

Cheers

Panache
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Welcome from the Windy city. I think that a kilt makes an extreme amount of sense for a curler. Talk about ease of movement!

And you could do much worse than an SWK Heavyweight. I have the HW in the Weathered Lamont tartan (wool) and also the older style shadow tartan HW in acrylic. I prefer the wool. Nothing with the acrylic, just my preference. You might also want to consider a USAK. Their PV kilts are an excellent value and do not have some of the issues that an acrylic has (pilling).
    The kilt concealed a blaster strapped to his thigh. Lazarus Long

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    part of the reason i'm looking into a wool one is the whole issue of warmth. At my home club, it's in the 30's out on the ice, but you go to some of the other clubs, it's cold enough to freeze the pitchers of water they have out there within half an hour. Curling is pretty much the only time I wear it, so the warmth is a concern.
    Last edited by dinerman; 15th May 06 at 06:36 PM.

Member - X Marks Honor Roll
    Former House Chairman/Forum Advocate

Reston, Virginia, USA (Suburban Washington, DC)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't own a Stillwater as I'm too short for one but I've heard good things about them.

Kilts, quite frankly are warmer that many other forms of clothing so go for it. (Knees aside) you'll be very toasty in any good wool kilt.
    Dee

Ferret ad astra virtus

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dinerman
    part of the reason i'm looking into a wool one is the whole issue of warmth. At my home club, it's in the 30's out on the ice, but you go to some of the other clubs, it's cold enough to freeze the pitchers of water they have out there within half an hour. Curling is pretty much the only time I wear it, so the warmth is a concern.
    Then don't even consider a SWK economy or standard. Their Hw's (in wool) are your best option, or other wool possibilities. The nice thing is that they are inexpensive enough that you can try one without breaking the bank.
    The kilt concealed a blaster strapped to his thigh. Lazarus Long

Moosehead is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go with the sweater, curling is a world of it's own. Don't forget to get yourself a Glengarry though. No self-respecting Canuck would curl without owning one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast