X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

buying a chanter kit

I just found out that the person in our finance department plays the bagpipes. I am thinking of buying a practice Chanter and learning the basics for my last three months over here. I had gotten some advice about a Naill or McCallum chanter, but as I surf the web, I find differnet notes, scales, prices, wood vs. Plastic etc. I gave myself a $150 price limit and would like a whole kit. Chanter, reeds, book and CD. I would like a little advice, by say... 28 May 2006. Also, do we have any advertisers on XMarks, or members that sell Chanters that I can keep business in the community?

Jaybird

billmcc
    I have not purchased anything from this website, but here is a very informative (and long) article about the practice chanter and tutorials:
    http://www.hotpipes.com/practice.html

The Bagpipe Web Directory is a useful resource:
    http://www.bobdunsire.com/bagpipeweb/index.html#top

highlander_Daz is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats a great website! Id suggest you get a full size chanter and hammer the scale grace notes and doublings until you can do tham cleanly from every melody note, then youve made a start, its not like a guitar where you can whack out a tune immediatly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, get the full size chanter because your fingers are going to be learning the spacing while you're learning the notes. The muscles and ligaments will stretch just like playing a guitar.

The British Shop is were I bought mine several years ago for about $70.00.

I don't see much need for spending the extra money on a blackwood and ivory practice chanter, I'd save that money for a really nice set of pipes. And with plastic, you can pick it up and pllay without the pitch changing based on the moisture of the wood. You only adjust the reed while practicing.

The College of Piping has a great if not the best series of instructional material, I've also got some music from a book called "Privy Piping" which keeps it interesting when you want to try a more modern song.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kiltstore.net is affiliated with the bagpipe store http://bagpipestore.net/?mv_force_se...on_id=efa6bzIa if this link doesn't work, there is a link on the bottom left of the kiltstore.net page. It looks like the Xmarks 10% discount is good there as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm really considering buying one of these practice chanters.....My poor neighbours
    All the Best.....David.
    Why be part of the crowd Choose a Freelander Sporran
    A Member of the Caledonian Society of Norway
    My Photo Gallery Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is just what I use and where I got them from:

http://www.toneczar.com/
    http://www.toneczar.com/index.asp?Pa...ROD&ProdID=158
    http://www.toneczar.com/index.asp?Pa...ROD&ProdID=130

And I couldn't tell from your email, but I'd HIGHLY suggest getting a teacher. Trying to do it all on your own from a book is a very difficult thing. And def. go with a poly chanter. You will drop it at some point

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, I like the hotpipes option of getting the Dunbar chanter and the "kitchen pipes" to go with it...looks like a bit of good clean fun.

Best

AA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a long chanter with countersunk holes from Kilberry, and a dvd called "Bagpipe Teacher" (got it from Amazon.com), which I enjoy. There is no music to read, simply follow the instructor. Messing around with the scale before I got the dvd, I had no idea what the chanter should sound like...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by highlander_Daz
    Thats a great website! Id suggest you get a full size chanter and hammer the scale grace notes and doublings until you can do tham cleanly from every melody note, then youve made a start, its not like a guitar where you can whack out a tune immediatly
    How true that is!

Personally, I break up tedious exercises with playing a few tunes only using G grace notes and the occasional light throw on the D. Playing the main notes without ornamentation is not that big of a deal - but it does sound boring and unispiring compared to the real thing. Anyway, never having played an instrument before, there is a good feeling being able to sound out e.g. Amazing Grace or Twinkle Twinkle Little Star well enough for my 6 year old to recognize...
    I try to get in 3 x 20 minutes of practice per day, and there is actually improvement to be traced.
    Last edited by porrick; 23rd May 06 at 01:18 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast