X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: RKilts Review

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RKilts Review

I have waited to post this review almost a week. There has been no reason other than I wanted to wear my new R Kilt in as many different ways as possible just to see if I could find anything wrong with it. I cannot. The kilt itself is constructed extremely well, has a fantastic swish and the leather work it top notch. I ordered a mess of stuff from Robert, a belt, sporran, braided sporran belt as well as a kilt.

The sporran, sewn on a solar powered sewing machine I might add, is supple and can be attached by a belt, or by the clips on the kilt; a wonderful feature. However, the sporran belt is braided leather (matching the tassels on the sporran NICE touch) and will not rub a shiny patch on any kilt and a buckle set behind that matches all the other leather on the kilt. In all a versatile and attractive package transferable to my other kilts.

The belt, in the "Ranger" style, is good looking and versatile. I have worn it with my other kilts and it is giving my Russian Military belt a well-needed respite.

The kilt: Wow, this thing is sharp, the pleats are nice and the traditional fastening system is a bit of struggle before a cup of coffee, but I am getting better. The color was recommended by Robert and is fantastic, it will go well with my graduation attire, I will be one of the best-dressed men at the graduation, and I must say, one of the most comfortable.

The customer service from Robert has been fantastic, he was able to take my order, build the kilt and the leather and ship it to me in just under a month. He also was nice enough to suggest the putty color (green was out of stock) and even did a color check with a navy shirt to make sure that things looked okay. He was able to suggest a few modifications that would make a kilt look better on a man of my girth (two extra pleats, Magic) and on the whole was exceptionally easy to deal with.

I can recommend RKilts without a shadow of a doubt. I wish that everybody could have the same experience I did; and if you deal with Robert, I am sure you will.

As soon as I have pictures I will post.

A big THANK YOU to Robert. My kilted buns are indebted to him.

RKilted in the Bronx

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I be a proud owner of an RKilts leather kilt too....was it a leather kilt?

Nary a problem. First class work.

Ron
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverkilt
    I be a proud owner of an RKilts leather kilt too....was it a leather kilt?

Nary a problem. First class work.

Ron

...and one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Riverkilt,

It is not a leather kilt; I don’t know that I am man enough to handle a leather kilt, and I really have no desire to find out. The kilt is constructed out of really soft cotton. The topstitching on the pleats helps, but after an hour on the subway, creases seem to form. Fortunately they snap right out in this humid weather.

And yes, Robert is one of the nicest people you will ever meet. I am looking forward to purchasing another of his products soon.

Kilted in the Bronx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BronxKilt, thanks for the review! It's always nice to get a new perspective on an old friend.

Robert's Kilts have gained nothing but great reviews from those who know kilts. I know that they're NOT easy to make due to the majority of materials that the man uses. That speaks loads to his talent.

Add-on to this after a couple weeks of wearing and washing the thing. This type of post is very useful to potential buyers. Thanks!
    Arise. Kill. Eat.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I don’t know that I am man enough to handle a leather kilt, and I really have no desire to find out. "

Then if Robert ever sends you any leather swatches, whatever you do, don't sniff them...you'll soon be hoarding your cash to buy a leather Rkilt....

Ron
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update

Late post, my dart game is getting better; then thanks to a kind offer I felt I should look my best tomorrow.

I should preface this with the caveat I am no genius with an iron. I am not inclined to iron much past a simple dress shirt.

I washed my lovely Rkilt two days ago, cold water, color safe detergent etc. I was worried about the leather bits bleeding, but there were no problems. The only awkward point was when I got the thing home and decided to see if it had shrunk and could not get the straps through the buckles; it seems that leather absorbs water and expands no mater how cold said water is.

The pleats did not lie back down gracefully. I have had the iron out twice now to mist and press them into submission. As I said above, I am starting from a position of insecurity regarding the iron, but I think I got it.

The kilt itself is better than ever, and if I had access to a good clothesline and a sunny day I might not be in this bind, BUT since it is raining AND I live in a basement apartment I had to iron. All is okay, but it looked best out of the box.

Does anybody have any tips on ironing a kilt? I did the best I could given the hour. Wish me luck at tomorrow’s happy hour; I have a girl to impress.

Kilted in the Bronx, Manhattan, Staten Island and Brooklyn.

Un-kilted in the Bronx and Manhattan. (heh)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ham (I think) advises ironing kilts by laying them on the floor. Ironing boards are just too small.

I seldom iron, hang dry with weighted clips on the hemline of the pleats. They dry straight. Works for me.

You can buy picnic tablecloth weights, but they're expensive in quantity. I just duct tape 1/2 ounce fishing weights to a clip...hanger clip...clothes pin...whatever works for you. Fast, easy, effective.

Ron

Ron

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can use a table with a couple of towels on it. Lay the kilt out, and line out the pleats. Put a teaspoon of vinegar with your distilled water in the steam iron.
    Have the iron on a high setting, it should work OK for you.
    You can use a cheap hand lotion to rub into the leather to restore the straps. Just rub it on the leather and work it in.
    As an alternative to hanging it outside in a sunny day routine. You can hang it out to dry in the bathroom over the shower curtain rod.
    All the best at your event
    Cheers
    Robert
    The leather and hemp Kilt Guy in Stratford, Ontario