X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My grandmothers maiden name was Caryl...so I was thinking about getting an Irish kilt myself. I'll have to do some more digging to see what tartan would be appropriate. I really like the Irish National.

Moosehead is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Todd pointed out, they are fashion, or "trade", tartans. Neither of the "National", nor any of the "County" tartans has any standing in Ireland itself. Wear whatever suits your fancy.

I just had a laugh at what your mother said (reminds me of my grandmother)...I know a lot of O'Briens, O'Connells and O'Reillys who'd disagree with her.
    I'd be one of the O'Briens who would question the remark.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not? You could also go for the Irish American tartan http://www.tartanweb.com/specialoffers/index.html (page 2)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Definitely SHOULD!!

Having said that, with the other advise already given, it's a matter of choice:
    • Carroll
    • Irish National
    • Clan Cian
    • Irish American
    • Irish Diaspors
    • Irish County tartans

Of course, this angst of this kind of decision process can be greatly reduced by taking the True XMarks approach: heat up the plastic and buy one of each!!! :rolleyes:

Clinton, South Carolina (USA)-> Atlanta native
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caradoc
    Good!

Wear whatever tartan you want. As long as you show respect for the family/clan/district/country whose tartan you're wearing, anyone who has a problem with it isn't worth listening to.
    Well said!
    And good point!

Just before the Greenville (SC) games I heard the most trash ever. One lady must have believed everything she ever came across on Scotland and was telling anyone who would listen, driving every crazy, so they called me to deal with her (and she was looking for Tartan in a retail store for cheap, I just don't get her).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacSimoin
    I just had a laugh at what your mother said (reminds me of my grandmother)...I know a lot of O'Briens, O'Connells and O'Reillys who'd disagree with her.
    Everyone has they're own partiality to their own surname. lol

Quote Originally Posted by MacSimoin
    No matter, Matt's correct in pointing out the Clan Cian tartan, which is totally appropriate.
    I've actually pondered getting myself 6 yards of Clan Cian tartan. It looks pretty decent, and it has some significance for me. How could I go wrong?
    I'll have to check out the mill Matt mentioned... I've only found it one other place up to now.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin
    Why not? You could also go for the Irish American tartan http://www.tartanweb.com/specialoffers/index.html (page 2)
    Now, there's a nice tartan! I may have to snag one of those kilts someday.

Thanks to everyone for the help. Now I'm torn between the Irish National and the Irish American. Decision, decisions.

billmcc
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin
    I agree with Colin. Irish American is a very good looking tartan. Furthermore, the kilt (a heavyweight wool 5-yarder) is a heck of a deal at that low price. Several members of this forum own one of these kilts, including me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAZN
    Thanks to everyone for the help. Now I'm torn between the Irish National and the Irish American. Decision, decisions.
    You know the advice you'll get here: "Just get both."
    We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance. - Japanese Proverb

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12