X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Allowed tartans

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Allowed tartans

Perhaps this has already been discussed, but I was wondering what everybody's opinion was on wearing tartans. Some people buy whatever tartan they think looks pretty. Others buy only their family's or clan's tartan. What do you think?

I personally believe that one should wear only his own tartan (clan's tartan) or an acceptable common tartan (national tartans). It upsets me that Gordon Dress is such a popular tartan, but a vast majority of those wearing it are not Gordons or a sept of Gordon (as I am). I also believe that Black Watch should be restricted to Black Watch soldiers and family of the Black Watch. If somebody cannot find their family, either buy a Royal Stuart or a national tartan and be done with it. Don't parade around in somebody else's colors!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by beloitpiper
    Don't parade around in somebody else's colors!
    Yes, I keep saying this on this forum and people keep telling me I should wear whatever I darned well please, whatever I think looks nice. However, being a traditional sort of guy and always following "rules" in life I don't know if I can really agree with that point of view.

However, I am NOT Scottish and don't have a drop of Scottish blood but I have already found these tartans that I can wear with pride:

Sweden - where my dad was born and raised
    Germany - where my great grandparents came from
    Chicago - where I was born
    Illinois - where I grew up
    Arizona - where I am living now
    American National - my country

Along with those, there are TONS of tartans at this site that are of unknown origin. Thus far I have found "orphan" tartans under the following words:

Unidentified
    Unnamed
    Wilsons

http://www.tartans.scotland.net/tart...?tartan_id=299

I hope this helps.

Phoenix Phil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps this has already been discussed
    It has.

I personally believe that one should wear only his own tartan (clan's tartan) or an acceptable common tartan (national tartans). It upsets me that Gordon Dress is such a popular tartan....
    Why does this upset you? In what manner has someone wearing a Gordon tartan offended you? Have they been disrespectful? How?

Did it ever occur to you that they are honoring clan Gordon by wearing that tartan?

Sounds like a personal problem.

Regards,
    Scott Gilmore
    Last edited by Scott Gilmore; 4th July 06 at 02:43 PM. Reason: To add link.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem with the "Rules", is that there aren't any. No one grants rules to tartans. There are people that say you can only wear your clan, there are other people that are honored if you wear their clan. The other thing is, "what is a clan tartan". For instance there are about a dozen tartans with the name Wilson. Only one is the actual Wilson tartan, gthe rest were just designed by a weaver who had the name Wilson, so go crazy and wear any of those you want.

Now having said that, I do understand the desire to have an association with a tatan. As has been said, most states (and some cities) have a tartan, there are armed forces tartans, college tartans, and generic tartans.

But all in all most reasonable people don't care as long as you show the tartan respect. As for where you get a family connection, I was just reading an article this weekend talking about common ancestry. Many experts are calculating that between 900-1500 years ago there existed a person who is now related to everyone in the entire world. Ergo you are related to every clan somehow.

Adam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pbpersson
    Yes, I keep saying this on this forum and people keep telling me I should wear whatever I darned well please, whatever I think looks nice. However, being a traditional sort of guy and always following "rules" in life I don't know if I can really agree with that point of view.
    And yet, Phil, you seem to worry about it quite a bit. No one is making you buy a clan tartan, and by your own posts, an actual traditional kilt is some ways off in the future for you, so what about this concerns you now? Are you finding tartans that you'd like to wear but don't feel entitled, and this is creating some cognitive dissonance for you? It seems that you've already found a list of tartans that is acceptable to you, so why not decide that clan tartans are off limits for you and be done with it? Choose one from your vetted list first and see where it takes you.

As with the Mocker/Original question, there are many opinions about this matter, but the only one that matters is yours. Keep in mind that no one is actually telling you what to do, they are stating their opinion, just as beloitpiper has.

Meanwhile, enjoy that UK that hasn't arrived yet.

Regards,
    Rex in Cincinnati

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't parade around in somebody else's colors!
    By your reasoning then if someone with the last name of BROWN or BLACK were to take offence if you were to wear a shirt in those particular colors then you shouldn't wear them or any color that is associated with a name, right?

Show me where it is written that someone who is or is not even of Scottish blood shouldn't wear any tartan they take a liking to and then we'll agree but since it isn't written and it seems that you're just barking up the wrong tree I would suggest that you don't go around checking IDs if you see someone wearing any particular tartan, it is none of your business.

Personally I wore my own Clans tartan for years before I decided to expand my horizons and purchase other tartans.

Sorry if I sound rude but the post is not polite to begin with and the demand was rediculous.

Chris.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just checked your profile, perhaps I would have understood more had I done it before my first post but you shouldn't be making judgement call while still wet behind the ears. There are many men who have been wearing the tartan since before you were born and again, show me where the rule book is that backs up your demand.

Chris.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll think about you next time I put on my Gordon. If it's any consolation, though, you are welcome to wear my clan tartans: Barclay or MacQueen. It won't offend me in the least.

;)
    [b][SIZE=2] In Soviet Russia, kilt wears you.
    [/b] [/SIZE]__________________________________
    Proudly affiliated: Clan Barclay International, Clan Chattan Society, The Western NC Rabble, The ([i]Really[/i]) Southern Ontario Kilt Society, The Order of the Dandelion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would and strike conversation with ANYONE in my tartan (Henderson.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you think?
    I think that if you want to design and patent/copyright/whatever your own tartan and tell people they're not allowed to wear it, that's up to you.

I do not, however, believe it's up to you to tell anyone what they can or cannot wear as far as entirely arbitrary colors go. Especially colors that you don't "own."

Have a nice day.

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast