X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My clan tartan (Henderson) being used by an Irish Pipe band?

I was cruising the net, and came across this little site. It's an Irish pipe band, but they've adopted the Henderson Ancient tartan for their kilts. Kinda odd... cool I suppose though...

Irish pipe band sporting the Henderson Ancient tartan

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pipe band...

Quote Originally Posted by Tattoobradley
    I was cruising the net, and came across this little site. It's an Irish pipe band, but they've adopted the Henderson Ancient tartan for their kilts. Kinda odd... cool I suppose though...

Irish pipe band sporting the Henderson Ancient tartan
    Many times pipe bands will adopt a particular tartan in honour of their founder and/or a long time member. Perhaps this is the case.

Regards,

Todd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Despite my family connection to the Hendersons, I'll try to be completely objective when I say that the Henderson tartan is a very nice design... up close and from a distance. I have a Henderson tartan kilt in the old colors and have have had more compliments and comments on that tartan than any other I own. It does seem to be less common than many others. The pipe band looks pretty sharp in it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blu (Ontario)
    Despite my family connection to the Hendersons, I'll try to be completely objective when I say that the Henderson tartan is a very nice design... up close and from a distance. I have a Henderson tartan kilt in the old colors and have have had more compliments and comments on that tartan than any other I own. It does seem to be less common than many others. The pipe band looks pretty sharp in it.

I remember! You're the only other person I've found on here with this tartan. Yes, I gotta admit, they look pretty sharp.

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OT: Clan Henderson Society

One thing that has always impressed me about the Clan Henderson Society in the US is their "walkabouts" at various Highland Games:

http://www.clanhendersonusa.org/bodyguard.htm

Cheers,

Todd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been considering applying to join the USA Clan Henderson. But, I don't know that I would be able to really participate at many of the Highland games and such. And, I need to read more about what I need to do to do such...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking to get a clan Henderson kilt one day. I have to get an Irish County Sligo one first. My family came from Ireland, but I have traced it back to clan Henderson.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bangkok kilt
    Looking to get a clan Henderson kilt one day. I have to get an Irish County Sligo one first. My family came from Ireland, but I have traced it back to clan Henderson.

I've some Irish heritage too. Quite a bit on my mother's side. I went with the Henderson ancient (featured in my avi) first, since it's paternal and I also carry the name. As Ron would say, my "Gang Colours" hahahaha. Best I can tell it looks like a lot of the Irish on my mom's side (Kern/McKern) came from county Mayo. I still haven't decided if I want to get the Irish National or go with the House of Edgar County Mayo...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I've got links to the County Sligo and Mayo. I'm going to go with the Sligo first mostly because I like the tartan just a little more, plus it's the paternal link.