X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Harpenden Highland Gathering (UK) 16 July 2006

OK, all you United Kingdom X Markers. This will probably be my last reminder to you of the Harpenden Highland Gathering which takes place in Hertfordshire next Sunday - 16th July.

Masses of us will be meeting up there, not only for the atmospheric 'Scottish' location at Rothamsted Park, Harpenden, but also for it being the perfect opportunity for X Markers (and other kilted brethren) who may not have met face-to-face to get to know each other - and to enjoy a libation or three.

It is geting a little late now to apply for your half-price entry Programme in advance (£3.50 incl. postage), but here is the on-line link if you think you still have time:http://www.harpenden-lions.co.uk/eve...d_Gathering_06
    If you miss this bargain, entry to the Gathering is by £6.00 Programme at the gate.

Because a full programmme of events runs from 10.00am to the closing ceremony at 5.30pm, and not all of us can be there by 10.00am, I propose that we meet (in what appears to be an open space on the plan in the programme) between the Classic Car display and the main arena between 11.30 and 11.45am. The massed pipe bands march in at 12.15pm and the official Opening Ceremony is at 12.40pm - I guess we might not wish to miss those - so any late-comers will have to scour the park for the rest of us as we will have dispersed soon after mid-day!

It is probably best that we 'do our own thing' for an hour or two, having made contact, and then meet up again mid-afternoon for a group photo (or photos, as you'll all have your cameras I know!)

Since the opportunities for eating appear to be somewhat limited (a Tea Tent and a Barbeque & Bar) it would be nice if those who can make it are able to get together for an evening meal at a nearby pub. It is impossible, sadly, for any prior booking to be made due to the unknown numbers. Just a thought!

So, there we have it. The day has (almost) finally dawned. If all those who expressed original interest, and as many who didn't, as possible (including all you 'newbies') turn out, I'm sure we'll have a great time.

See you there next Sunday!
    Last edited by Hamish; 9th July 06 at 09:43 AM.
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Hamish. Thanks for the reminder and details. Unfortunately, although I had intended attending Harpenden, I now have to go across to the Lake District on business.

I know you will all have a wonderful day and I look forward to seeing a full report and lots if pics the week after.

Kind regards.

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acaig
    Hi Hamish. Thanks for the reminder and details. Unfortunately, although I had intended attending Harpenden, I now have to go across to the Lake District on business.

I know you will all have a wonderful day and I look forward to seeing a full report and lots if pics the week after.

Kind regards.
    That's a shame, Alan. You'll be missed.
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/