X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Pv Tartans!

3389 Schuylkill Rd, Spring City, PA 19475
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

New Pv Tartans!

At least to USAK they're new... sorry about that. Now that I have your attention...

On the Fraser Hntg thread, a point was brought up about alternative PV tartans to the ones on our site. Yes, Marton Mills has about 75 tartans in PV and Yes, we can get any of them. We carry about 30 in stock, but CAN GET the rest. I've now gotten a few requests for PV tartans not on our list, but MADE from MM...

That being said... I'll open an offer to XMARKSers. If you see a tartan on the Poly Viscose list you want to order... EVEN IF WE DON'T HAVE IT ON OUR SITE, we'll order it and make you a kilt. Even better yet... same pricing as the kilts currently offered on the USA Kilts website (no charge for a "special order").

To view available tartans, click on the link below and scroll down to the "Balmoral 11oz Poly/Viscose Tartan collection". You can view ALL of the swatches there.

http://www.martonmills.com/

This offer runs out in 2 weeks.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea, thank you!

Checked it out and only found five that I really like...

The Gordon Red (and gray) is beautiful

The Cladish is also beautiful and a different color with the brown and blue

The mentioned Fraser ancient hunting.

The Stewart modern camel - another fine looking brown.

And the Wallington

Sure some are fashion tartans, but hey, they look sharp.

Now...choices....and only two weeks to decide....:confused:

Ron
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Deleted, did not work, was trying to show the tartans list to save people some time.
    The kilt concealed a blaster strapped to his thigh. Lazarus Long

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a word of advice to actually *look* at the swatches and don't jsut go by the names. Some are given different names than you'd expect. For instance, what they call "Gem" is really Maclaine of Lochbuie hunting. What they call "Malcolm" is really black Stewart. What they call "Westgate" is Gordon (which is really weird, since they do a Gordon, and from teh swatches the only difference seems to be that one has a slightly larger sett than the other).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyR
    I'll open an offer to XMARKSers. If you see a tartan on the Poly Viscose list you want to order... EVEN IF WE DON'T HAVE IT ON OUR SITE, we'll order it and make you a kilt. Even better yet... same pricing as the kilts currently offered on the USA Kilts website (no charge for a "special order").
    Oh Nooooooooo... Must... resist... temptation...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M. A. C. Newsome
    Just a word of advice to actually *look* at the swatches and don't jsut go by the names. Some are given different names than you'd expect. For instance, what they call "Gem" is really Maclaine of Lochbuie hunting. What they call "Malcolm" is really black Stewart. What they call "Westgate" is Gordon (which is really weird, since they do a Gordon, and from teh swatches the only difference seems to be that one has a slightly larger sett than the other).
    Ture... some are a little different.

Gem is MacLaine of Lochbuie (or something very close)... (MacLaine looks like it's a lighter blue and has a black surrounding the yellow where the "Gem" tartan is Navy with no black)
    "Westgate" is a much smaller version of Gordon (sett is about 1/2 the size)
    Malcolm is a mix of MacBeth and Black Stewart. It's a similar patter to both, but it is a navy base, not black (tough to see on some monitors)

If anyone has any questions about a particular tartan's color or anything, please PM me and I'll be happy to answer any questions you have.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    OK, for those that want to see them live, here is a link that shows all of the tartans in question: http://www.mindspring.com/~aquajock/marton%20tartans.htm
    The kilt concealed a blaster strapped to his thigh. Lazarus Long

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rocky,

"SportKilt" is offering the US Army tartan in its "poly" fabric. Can you get that (or is that not poly-viscose)?
    Brian

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsheal
    Rocky,

"SportKilt" is offering the US Army tartan in its "poly" fabric. Can you get that (or is that not poly-viscose)?
    Hey Woodsheal,

Sportkilt's fabric is NOT Poly Viscose. They use a cotton poly blend that is much thinner than ours. Unfortunately, we can not get the US Army tartan in PV. We CAN get it in wool and make a 5 yard wool kilt, but they start at $350. Any other PV tartans you're interested in?

Clinton, South Carolina (USA)-> Atlanta native
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After correspondance with Rocky, I will be getting PV for recovering my car seats in my roadster. Now, to decide which and how much . . .

From what I uderstand and have seen, PV looks/feels much more like a mid-weight wool. Poly cotton is much thinner and is closer to a cross between flannel and light weight wool.

I'd much prefer PV.

Also, be warned: Only a few use PV. Rocky is one and (I think) Bear is another. I will not speak for others.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast