X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: kilt pins

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

kilt pins

I'm new to the kilt world and learning as much as i can just about everything cuz i'm in the research stage of making a kilt

i've heard many people talk about a kilt pin and that it's work on the lower corner of the front apron? the place i read this mentioned that it's used to weigh down the apron, but the pics i've seen they so small so is it really put through both aprons and held down that way?

anyone who would like to enlighten me more about this would be great

kitty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When used correctly, the kilt pin is supposed to be placed through the outter/front apron ONLY. The pin should be of a decent weight so as to be effective.

Many people (myself included) don't often use a kilt pin though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

I do use a kilt pin, as for me is the perfect final touch for a trad. kilt. ONLY used on the front apron, to allow the kilt to open when u seat, or maybe you can provoke a disaster on the fabric! Regarding the weight, well, as you said, they're not too big or heavy, but they just add a slight extra weight to keep the apron down. There are others heavier, but I never felt the necessity of having my "privacy" secured by a kilt pin. If wind makes ur apron look for ur nose, then no kilt pin will help to avoid it!

¡Salud!

T O N O

Clinton, South Carolina (USA)-> Atlanta native
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    KIlt pins are a "newer" part of the kilt. The story is that Queen Victoria was walking by a Highland Regiment on parade (formal thing, not through streets), when a gust of wind blew open a kilt, revealing what was beneath. While others were embarassed, she simply removed a hair pin and inserted it in the kilt to hold it down. Some regiments use a hat pin as their kilt pin in memory of this, though it is simply decoration.

A kilt pin is largely extra decoration of the outer apron, as virtually all are useless as a "wind deterant." They do allow the wearer to show more personality, as if the kilt itself was not enough. Some get heavier pins, so it seems more funtional. The problem is that if it is actually heavy enough to do much good, it affects the hang of the kilt. A danger is that a kilt pin may damage the kilt itself, by making a small hole or twoin the material itself, either by snagging something or the weight pull for a heavy kilt pin (especially on a lighter weight fabric). Therefore, many do not use them at all. But, a kilt pin is a good way of displaying personality or provide a good excuse for a man to wear jewlery that he would normally shy away from.

Myself, if I wear a kilt casually, I do NOT wear a kiltpin,but I do if worn in a more formal environment (where suits, coat and tie or nicer, are required).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As others have said here, unless it's a BIG pin, it doesn't provide much weight to the apron. Pin only through the over apron, as pinning through both will affect the hang of the kilt, and increases the chance of damage to your expensive garment.

The pin's main purpose is decoration. As has been stated, the kilt pin is another opportunity for personal expression.

Also note, the recommendation is to have a separate kilt pin for each kilt and leave it attached except to clean the kilt. This reduces the potential damage caused by constantly pinning and unpinning.
    Last edited by davedove; 26th July 06 at 06:14 AM.
    We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance. - Japanese Proverb

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

kilt pin...

Some regiments use a hat pin as their kilt pin in memory of this, though it is simply decoration.
    Can't say I have ever heard of any of the regiments using a hat pin -- the Black Watch uses tartan rosettes, the Argylls use the so-called "kilt panel", and then of course, there is also the standard-issue "safety pin":

More about the Argyll's "kilt panel":

http://www.calgaryhighlanders.com/kiltpanel.htm

Cheers,

Todd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacWage
    a kilt pin is a good way of displaying personality or provide a good excuse for a man to wear jewlery that he would normally shy away from.
    IMHO, kilt pins (especially the clan crest type) can look great on the lapel of a leather 'biker' jacket.

Regards,

Troy

Clinton, South Carolina (USA)-> Atlanta native
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunscot
    Can't say I have ever heard of any of the regiments using a hat pin -- the Black Watch uses tartan rosettes, the Argylls use the so-called "kilt panel", and then of course, there is also the standard-issue "safety pin":

More about the Argyll's "kilt panel":

http://www.calgaryhighlanders.com/kiltpanel.htm

Cheers,

Todd
    OK, I was going off the cuff and remembered that from somewhere,but not sure where. When it comes to Highlander Regiment stuff, I turn it to him. He knows his stuff in that field FAR better than I do.