X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Clinton, South Carolina (USA)-> Atlanta native
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunscot
    Read McWhiney's two "Celtic South" books, the aforementioned "Cracker Culture", and the last chapter of "Attack and Die", which discusses Southern military strategy and tactics in the Civil War with a large grain of salt, though. Interesting reading, but it should be pointed out that many people of "Celtic" stock also served in the Federal Army -- the Irish regiments of New York and Pennsylvania, the 79th New York and 12th Illinois (both Scottish regiments) and the numerous Scots, Ulster-Scots and Welsh soldiers who did not necessarily join an "ethnic" regiment.

Arthur MacArthur, father of General Douglas MacArthur, for example, was of Scottish heritage and was awarded the CMOH for his actions at Lookout Mountain. On a personal note, many of my own Scottish ancestors served in Iowa regiments during the war.

That's not saying McWhiney is wrong, just that he ignores the Northern "Celts" to prove his point. Ray, David Fischer and James Leyburn are much more reliable.

OT off.

Regards,

Todd
    I wouldn't argue with you. I just found it (McWhiney) interesting in general. The Irish Brigade was certainly of Celtic stock, but fought valiantly for the union.

I'd recommend MacKinnon and Grimble for those interested in "armchair" reading, especially about the clans and Sottish culture and history.

MacKinnon spends one part detailing the various clans "known"/'proven" to have existed just before the Jacobite "issues." The other part is prose about Scottish history and other "matters."

Gimble is long chapters organized around different matters and topics.

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacWage
    I wouldn't argue with you. I just found it (McWhiney) interesting in general. The Irish Brigade was certainly of Celtic stock, but fought valiantly for the union.

I'd recommend MacKinnon and Grimble for those interested in "armchair" reading, especially about the clans and Sottish culture and history.

MacKinnon spends one part detailing the various clans "known"/'proven" to have existed just before the Jacobite "issues." The other part is prose about Scottish history and other "matters."

Gimble is long chapters organized around different matters and topics.
    When folks ask me for a one-volume history of the Scottish Clans, I recommend Mackinnon.

T.

Clinton, South Carolina (USA)-> Atlanta native
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunscot
    When folks ask me for a one-volume history of the Scottish Clans, I recommend Mackinnon.

T.
    Barnes and Noble publishes an inexpensive copy (source of all 3 of mine)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I picked up my copy of MacKinnon's book from the used section at Amazon for about six bucks - shipping took it to nine I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really dig the graphics, Scott. Thanks for posting - interesting links.

Regards,
    Rex in Cincinnati.
    At any moment you must be prepared to give up who you are today for who you could become tomorrow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of the clans were noted for their ships and "navy", Clan Campbell had numerous longboats of different sizes, many of these were leased to the king for certains periods of time to supplement their fleets. (See "History of Clan Campbell", Vol I by Alaistair Campbell) I would also presume Clan McDonald was noted for their ships, one of the symbols on their clan badge is a longboat.

The reliance on longboats by some of the clans is not very well documented, but with the some of the clans scattered out over the islands, it would seem reasonable that longboats were a common mode of transportation.

Can any of you historians shed any light on the longboats?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Scott.... I just found your posting today...don't know how I managed to miss it :rolleyes:
    VERY interesting. The site is fascinating well worth a visit. The Western Isles must be one of my most favourite places, so barren in places but so beautiful.
    Many thanks for the post.
    James

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiltedjaz
    VERY interesting. The site is fascinating well worth a visit. The Western Isles must be one of my most favourite places, so barren in places but so beautiful.
    I envy you your familiarity with that place. Someday soon ...

When I started investigating my heritage, to be honest I wasn't (and still am not) particularly interested in finding out who specifically my distant relatives were so much as the kind of life they lead, what motivated them to do the things they did. Why so many of them moved (back to) Northern Ireland, and then later on to North America, and in my family's case, on to Western Pennsylvania.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm more interested in the content of the character of my ancestors than what their names and dates of birth were. The Western Isles were the genesis of my father's family, and as such, I think may give me some clues about our past.

That search lead me to stories of Dun Eistean, the Blackhouse Village, Andrew Morrison (a.k.a. Viscount Dunrossil honorary British Consul in San Antonio, Texas), and a wealth of facinating historical society Web sites with their photo galleries* and tales of times past.

Carol and I have a dream of retiring to that part of the world. If we can swing it - and we're working hard to make it happen - we'd like to spend many years visiting and becoming intimately familiar with Ireland and Scotland. In the meantime, I find myself pleasantly immersed in the subject as often as possible.

Thanks all for the friendly conversation.

Regards,
    Scott Gilmore

* Nice to know us Yanks aren't the only goofy looking kilt wearers in the world. That link leads to one of my people. Yupper!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12