X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Southern Breeze is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clergy/Clarke Tartan

I've decided that my next tartan kilt will be the Clergy tartan. I've done a lot of research and found that the Clark tartan is the same. However, I was reading the thread on Militery Tartans and noticed that MacWage mentioned that the more modern mills try to differentiate them by the colors used. Now I'm wondering, which mills do this and in what way? I've not seen any examples of this so far and I'll admit that I may have missed them.

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's customary for a lot of woolen mills to weave the Clark tartan with bright white lines, but the Clergy tartan with more muted grey lines. Like MacWage said, though, this is a modern distinction.

I wrote an article on the Clergy tartan for the Scottish Banner some months ago.

http://albanach.org/clergy_tartan.htm

And here is a kilt I recently made in the modern Clergy tartan (16 oz) by Lochcarron.
    http://kilts.albanach.org/clergy1.jpg

Aye,
    Matt

Southern Breeze is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info, it answerd the question I had perfectly. That pic of the kilt is great, I'll be putting one on my wishlist. Again, thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent article Re: Clergy Tartan. I've a priest friend who has one and it looks great. On the subject of Presbyterianism there are some excellent resources on the web. I have used some of the Belfast Presbyterian resources to locate my Clark ancestors in Ireland. The Scot Clarks were easy as my Great Aunt had a family bible. O'Neille

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey thanks, Matt, for the picture.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I'd love to get a Clergy Green Ancient to match my scarf - it's black, deep purple, with green stripes...and none of them in "ancient" style colors! (I posted about this some time ago, for those who are interested. Barb was a big help in that conversation, as she always is)

It would be rich. Unfortunately, I'd have to be to get one, too. I'd have to have it woven, sadly, and I can't find any other clergy who like it enough to go in on it with me.

I do happen to know that Mysticwolf is considering a Clergy Blue Ancient for his next kilt.

I also like the PV Clark (same as Clergy) by USAKilts.

Decisions. Decisions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a 90% plus chance that I'll be getting the Clark in pv from USAKs. The light weight and easy care have me swayed in it's favor.

Clinton, South Carolina (USA)-> Atlanta native
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M. A. C. Newsome
    It's customary for a lot of woolen mills to weave the Clark tartan with bright white lines, but the Clergy tartan with more muted grey lines. Like MacWage said, though, this is a modern distinction.

I wrote an article on the Clergy tartan for the Scottish Banner some months ago.

http://albanach.org/clergy_tartan.htm

And here is a kilt I recently made in the modern Clergy tartan (16 oz) by Lochcarron.
    http://kilts.albanach.org/clergy1.jpg

Aye,
    Matt
    Those are EXACTLY what I had in my memory

I am planning on getting some of that very material. Matt, I just need to get a wee bit better before I'll fork over $150 for the material to make a kilt meself, but it is coming VERY soon. I am planning on getting 16 oz MacNeil modern and 16 oz Clery and I love how that one looks (just the perfect darkeness). http://kilts.albanach.org/clergy1.jpg

I'll probably get some Clark PV as my last "practice" kilt (plus it will contrast with the dark 16oz). By then I should be good.

So, that will be 20 kilts on my list. Right now I am finishing #3. Got to get going . . . I just wish each didn't take so much time!!!!

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prester John,

Yes, I remember trying to find that tartan for you. Check out this page:
    http://www.tartanweb.org/range/house...old__rare.html

It wouldn't happen to be the one labelled "Clergy weathered" would it?

Graham is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Matthews' Clergy looks darker that USAK Clark - or is it just the photo?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham
    Matthews' Clergy looks darker that USAK Clark - or is it just the photo?
    I noticed that myself. I think it's just the photo, I've seen differant pics of the same tartan with wide differances in color.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast