X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Malt Whiskey Fudge....

Last year I was given a tin of Edradour Whiskey Fudge (made by Gardiners of Scotland). A wonderful confection which (like peanuts) one is compelled to eat in quantity.

I've been browsing around the internet a bit for a recipe, but none has surfaced. I was curious to know if anyone here has tried to make it and if so, how was it. I was thinking of trying a traditional fudge recipe and adding single malt or perhaps Drambuie.

Any ideas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found a recipe for Jack Daniels Whiskey Fudge, just change the Jack for whatever you want. http://www.recipezaar.com/11961

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never seen one, but I came up with my own:

1 bottle single-malt (Talisker or Oban are preferred)

1 lb. chocolate chips
    1 lb. butter
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 eggs
    1/2 cup milk.

Melt the chips and butter in a double boiler. Measure out 2 ounces of single malt, and drink. If it meets your satisfaction, whisk another 2 ounces into the chocolate/butter mixture.

Lightly beat the eggs with the milk. Do not let the whites form peaks. Measure out another 2 ounces of single malt. Add 1/4 ounce to the eggs, and continue beating.
    (Reserve the remaining whisky in a suitable container...such as your belly.)

While chips and butter are still over low heat, slowly whisk in the milk.
    Measure out another 2 ounces of single-malt. Wait a minute, we all ready added some singlemalt, right? Well don't waste it, and fer gawd's sake, don't try to pour it back in the bottle. Just drink it. Good lad.

Now, mix the milk in with the remaining ingredients, and slowly sift in 1/2 cup flour. Measure out 2 ounces...oh hell. Let's say 3 ounces of singlemalt. Contemplate adding it to the batter, and then come to yer senses. Drink.

Mix the mess all together. Did we put in some singlemalt yet? Measure out a dram. Add to the pot. Or drink, which ever is easier.

Put in a 350 degree oven for approximately 30 minutes. This will give you time to have another dram.

When the smoke alarm sounds, remove from oven. Insert a toothpick into the center to confirm that not only have you ruined a cake pan, but you've wasted almost 4 ounces of fine singlemalt.

Put the smouldering pan in the sink and cover with cold water.

Take the rest of the singlemalt to your mate's house*, pour out two glasses and repeat until the bottle is empty. Comiseratie on how good the fudge would have been.

* In lieu of a "mate" to share the single malt with, feel free to ship all bottles to Streetcar in care of X Marks the Scot.......
    Last edited by Streetcar; 3rd August 06 at 11:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't fudge it

Streetcar got there first - and expressed it much better than I can - but please don't adulterate the nectar. Eat a bit of fudge with your dram if you must - I think it will ruin the taste but then that's just me - but don't ever put any in it. Sacrilege!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blu (Ontario)
    Last year I was given a tin of Edradour Whiskey Fudge (made by Gardiners of Scotland). A wonderful confection which (like peanuts) one is compelled to eat in quantity.

I've been browsing around the internet a bit for a recipe, but none has surfaced. I was curious to know if anyone here has tried to make it and if so, how was it. I was thinking of trying a traditional fudge recipe and adding single malt or perhaps Drambuie.

Any ideas?

if it wuz Edradour than it wuz "whisky"- no "whiskey"

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please note that the Gardiners of Scotland whisky fudge is a "white fudge" (i.e. not chocolate). This kind of fudge is more common in the UK than in the US. We sell it in our gift shop and I have a hard time explaining to my fellow Americans that, though it says "fudge" on the label, there is no chocolate in it.

Those that want to give it a try:
    http://giftshop.scottishtartans.org/giftshop2.html
    It's about half way down the page. Comes in a nice collectable tin, too!

Matt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrewson
    Streetcar got there first - and expressed it much better than I can - but please don't adulterate the nectar. Eat a bit of fudge with your dram if you must - I think it will ruin the taste but then that's just me - but don't ever put any in it. Sacrilege!
    Like any cooking, you want to use good quality ingredients, but not necessarily the best. So, I would use a good quality whiskey, but not top of the line.
    We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance. - Japanese Proverb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pour1Malt
    if it wuz Edradour than it wuz "whisky"- no "whiskey"
    Doh!...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave
    I found a recipe for Jack Daniels Whiskey Fudge, just change the Jack for whatever you want. http://www.recipezaar.com/11961
    This recipe looks interesting, but I think the chocolate might be a bit overpowering. It might work if I substituted butterscotch chips for chocolate though.

Thanx for the link.