X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Revised Instructions are UP

OK, call this set, "The 2nd Edition" ! LOL

http://www.california.com/~ahebert/X-Kilt_MSword.doc

It's a 5 mbyte MS Word file. It got bigger as I added a few more pictures and illustrations. After I add even MORE pictures, I'll turn it into an Adobe Acrobat file for quicker download.

CHANGES:

1. made the forward-facing pleat folds of the first and last pleats a full three inches deep.

2. Made the big reverse pleat that lies under the over-apron deeper. These two changes should help with the "pooching" issue that I'm finding on my prototype. It "pooches" , sometimes, at the bottom of that reverse pleat. That's about the only fault I find with this kilt, though.

3. Increased the A-Shaping of the apron by half an inch on each side.

4. Replaced the "fold-over" ersatz waistband with a normal waistband.

5. Incorporated the pleating diagram into the document as Appendix I

6. Included quick-and-dirty instructions on making cargo pockets as Appendix II.

While the pictures that will be coming will help illustrate the instructions, it's all there, now. Download and go at it, and be sure to show us all your pictures!
    Last edited by Alan H; 24th August 06 at 05:48 PM.

Southern Breeze is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've got a slight problem!! I've downloaded this 4 times and when it starts to open it CRASHES and locks everything up. I'm using Windows XP and this is the only word file I've hade trouble with. Help!

Finally got it! I tried one more time and no problems. As for what went wrong the other times, I'm clueless.
    Last edited by Southern Breeze; 24th August 06 at 06:19 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic work Alan! Very, very detailed instructions so that I feel like I might be able to make one. Now if I can only dig up that sewing machine buried in the back of the closet.

Southern Breeze is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Great job on the latest edition Alan, the pics will really help those first timers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Breeze
    We've got a slight problem!! I've downloaded this 4 times and when it starts to open it CRASHES and locks everything up. I'm using Windows XP and this is the only word file I've hade trouble with. Help!

Finally got it! I tried one more time and no problems. As for what went wrong the other times, I'm clueless.
    Well, it is MS Word 97, not 2000 or 2003.

I'm cheap and I hate buying Microsoft products!

The thing has grown to 30 pages! Incredible. Maybe I shouldn't put in any more pics, it'll just make the whole thing bigger!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinnabar
    Fantastic work Alan! Very, very detailed instructions so that I feel like I might be able to make one. Now if I can only dig up that sewing machine buried in the back of the closet.
    Remember, the materials will only cost you about $30 if you buy cotton/poly twill. Then you can go at your own pace, eh? It's a do-able project.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan H
    Well, it is MS Word 97, not 2000 or 2003.

I'm cheap and I hate buying Microsoft products!

The thing has grown to 30 pages! Incredible. Maybe I shouldn't put in any more pics, it'll just make the whole thing bigger!
    I did some investigating and found that if I open Wordpad with AutoCad running in the background things get rather ugly and go south very quickly. I thought I'd mention this in case anyone else has trouble.

And now back to your regulary scheduled thread.
    Last edited by Southern Breeze; 25th August 06 at 09:35 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Alan.

Oh, and if you don't want to buy MS products, check out www.openoffice.org. Its a full office suite for the price of your time spent downloading and installing it (read as "free"). That's what I use at home and it will open both open formats and MS formats.

Anyway, thanks for the directions, I'll get pictures up as soon as I get this put together.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Breeze
    I did some investigating and found that if I open Wordpad with AutoCad running in the background things get rather ugly and go south very quickly. I thought I'd mention this in case anyone else has trouble.

And now back to your regulary scheduled thread.
    Having been in that situation in the past, distant computer past at this time, I found that increasing the amount of RAM in the system would take care of it. Of course there have been a few "upgrades" to Windows, Word and ACAD since then

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heath Bar asked me some questions about

1. the specific placement of the velcro on the over-apron-strip and

2. holding the excess material of the under-aprons' left edge in place.

I incoporated my answers to His questions into Edition 2.01 (*LOL*) and am uploading it right now.

Namely: sew the velcro on the strip about 1.25 inches down from the top of the strip

and

my belt usually hold the excess of the under-apron in place, but if you want to, you can put a buttonhole in the upper corner of the under-apron and button it in place. Alternatively, you can sew in some more velcro.
    Last edited by Alan H; 25th August 06 at 11:37 AM.

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast