X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Horn and Leather Treatment

I've been researching for the best possible restoring treatments for the above esp. horn for the handle of my (near completed) skien dubh. There is of course a list as long as your arm on what works and what Really works so I've made a simple formular up to the best of my knowledge. So far so good! Both horn, antler and leather (and hands for that matter) have been soaking it up brilliantly.

Ing:
    Baby Oil, also known as Mineral Oil
    Lamb Kidney Fat (this is the best known fat avail. for cooking as it's the most readily absorbed. Ask your butcher).
    Essential oil for scenting eg. patchouli, cedar etc.(optional)

Boil fat (I used a decent handfull) in water 5 mins, scoop off crud on top and discard. Drain and heat on medium-low heat till all fat has liquified, or until it stops liquifying. This may take an hour or so, watch it doesn't burn.
    Discard any leftover fat. Drain through folded paper towel or coffee perculator bag etc. Now we have lard! You can cook with any that's leftover.
    Mix about 7 parts lard with 3 parts oil. Add any essential oil to your own liking.

It smells quite clean, so long as it wasn't mutton but lamb that was used. Otherwise you get tallow and that's great for your period candle making and oiling ships rigging but not too flash on the nose. Hope it can be of use folks!
    Erin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, is this the stuff from which oilcloth or oilskin is made? How does one treat canvas or sailcloth with it to get the waterproofing effect?
    "Listen Men.... You are no longer bound down to the unmanly dress of the Lowlander." 1782 Repeal.
    Lady From Hell vs Neighbor From Hell @ [url]http://way2noisy.blogspot.com[/url]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    W2F these days there's all kinds of synthetic treatments for waterproofing of which I know very little. It could be used on an oilcloth no doubt but I'm not sure what is ususally used.
    The idea behind this was to find an organic retorating oil that's as "native" to horn and antler as possible. Both have a tendency to crack over time and can potentially fall apart on the tang of a blade. I searched blade forums and read plenty of labels and so far it's a very reliable treatment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oz, have you checked out britishblades.com? Lots of tutorials over there and lots of guys to ask.

David

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Thornton
    Oz, have you checked out britishblades.com? Lots of tutorials over there and lots of guys to ask.

David
    Just had a quick look, very informative, great site. Thanks!
    E