X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Genealogy sources?

Ok, so it's not 100% kilt related, but I have seen posts in here regarding genealogy. I am wondering if there are any good sites where one can search for immigration records, or find birth certificates and all that good stuff.
    I theoretically (still verifying names, although everything seems to fit... Logan county AR) have my grandmother's family lines drawn back to the early, early 1800s, but that's where I run dry. One distant (apparently) ancestor was born in TN, but his father was from NC, nothing was said of when, or if he was an immigrant or not, or even a name on the record I found. This was through the LDS database, so all was done on free sources. I am thinking that a paid genealogist would do a much better job. If I have the right line, there is even a family cemetary in somewhere in Logan Co. I am sure I could locate it in some fashion, but a road trip for headstone rubbings is not an option at this point. This is fun stuff, but it isn't necessarily easy. I cannot even find solid records on my grandfather's side of things, I think the names are just too common: Green, and Moore... there are a ton of them, especially in the southern states.

Moderators, if you feel this would be better served in a different forum, by all means move it, but please do not delete it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Besides the LDS database there are other LDS related resources available which can actually provide help and guidance to questions submitted.

http://www.new-jerusalem.com/genladynew/

Is one such source that may be able to point you in the right direction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the best sources of genealogical information on the web is www.rootsweb.com. There are also some surname message boards on the rootsweb site, look to see if there is an active Green and Moore message board, sometimes you can find a lot of help on these boards. You can also search for your ancestors and locate individuals who are working on the same family line.

If you know the home county of your ancestors do a google search and see if you can find a message board or a historical society for that particular county. Some surnames have family associations, again do a google search for a family association for your surnames. If there is an association you will find some contacts and willing help.

Some states are now transcribing and copying some vital records and placing the information online, this is a excellent source of documented records. Most of the people who are involved in genealogy are more than willing to share information with their cousins.

I hope this little bit of info helps you out, if you have any questions please feel free to PM me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can also see what research has already been done on familysearch.org.
    Good luck to you. It's interesting to see who our ancestors turn out to be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah... I found rootsweb, and signed up last night... it's pretty good... I can trace maternal roots on my grandmother's side pretty far back, if all the records are accuate. There's a bit of English in the bloodlines that has gone unacknowledged for like ever apparently. This pursuit is quite fun, and as addictive as any other activity I have engaged in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you use rootsweb be sure and look at the sources of the information, sometimes the posters just copy someone's information, mistakes and all! Enjoy the search, like kilts, genealogy is addictive.

The urban village of Mt. Washington, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check your local library and see if they have a subscription to HeritageQuest and/or ancestry.com's library edition.

And as Cawdorian pointed out, make sure you follow up on any information you receive and try to find as much primary source material as you can. I took my uncle's word for it that the immigrant patriarch of my particular Beck family was named John Wendelinus (same as his son, my father's grandfather), but when I checked the primary records, I discovered his name was really Wendeline Georg. A simple mistake, but one that had me scratching my head because I could not find anything else on John Wendelinus, but had all sorts of info on this "Wendel" fellow.

Check and double check all sources!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moved to Heraldry & Tartans section.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your first source of information should be your family. Talk with the older members and get their stories. Look around for family records. Things like a family bible can provide all sorts of information. Do be careful though. Sometimes family stories are just that - stories. I wish I had had more interest when I was younger and could have talked to my grandparents. Now, I'm losing aunts and uncles and any information they might have had.
    We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance. - Japanese Proverb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the names back to my great grandparents from both of my parents. Everything else from there has been searching. The pieces really seem to fit for the one line of the family, names, dates, especially location, even the migration west seemed to be convenient with the time period given, and then settling down, and staying in the area for years on years... hell, most of the people on my dad's side of the family STILL live in the area. I am sure the reason we don't is because he was military, and thanks to that, got a taste for traveling it seems.

Thanks mods for moving this thread. I wan't sure if it would have been appropriate under heraldry and tartans, but I suppose it fits. I almost posted it in the off topic area.

I do not know if anyone kept a family bible, but the idea that there is a Moore family cemetary kind of lends to the idea that people from that side of the family cared. I'll have to ask around... we're not super close with my dad's side of the family... we're pretty far away, and the moves, and military stuff sort of helped on that end. Both grandparents, and great grandparents on my father' side have passed on, so information may be hard to get... I don't know how much other family members know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast