X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A little slice of Highland clan history

I think this is the best place for this post. Moderators, please feel free to move this if there's a better place.

For several years there has been an ongoing effort to excavate the ruins of the ancient stronghold of clan Morrison (septs Gilmore, Brieve and MacBrieve) near the Butt of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides. The site of the dig appears to reveal an existence led by my ancestors that contrasts somewhat with that of some of the wealthier, more prominent Highland clans.

The site of the ruins shown below, is a small island that was, when in use, only reachable during low tide (as shown on the left).

Clearly it was an easily defensible site, hence it's use. The ruins though, seem to indicate a comparatively meager existence when compared to clan castles and fortifications of larger mainland Highland clans.

Facilitating the archeological efforts is a new foot bridge constructed with the help of the Clan Morrison Society of North America.

How they used to get there:

The digs started a few years ago and have continued each summer since. The current dig is just underway. The ruins appear to be mostly medieval or later, but some elements may be of prehistoric origin.

What stood out to me when reading about this though was the modest nature of the structures excavated. There was a relatively simple fortified structure (the "dun"), extensive protective earthworks and some accessory structures - all of which have been almost completely covered over either by nature, man, or both.

"The upper layers of the stronghold excavated at Dun Eistean have proved to be from the Medieval period. Far from being circular, as suggested by the mound now apparent on the site, the indications suggest a square tower, or keep, constructed from well-built clay-bonded walling." It goes on to say that "the variety of structures constructed in different ways suggests activity from different periods, perhaps extending back into the Iron Age."

It was not far from this spot that a patch of tartan was found back in the 1930s wrapped around a bible bricked in behind the fireplace of an old house being renovated. The bible was inscribed with the name Morrison, and dated 1748 - just after the Proscription Act forbad the wearing of tartan.

There are two variants of this red tartan. One is dated 1745 and the other 1747. The only significant difference is that the older sett has a double green central tramline; however, considering that there are only two known samples of cloth from this time, I would conjecture that if more remnants turned up, other variations - possibly entirely different tartans - would be found.

Regards,
    Scott Gilmore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    excellent!

ta fur that!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's pretty interesting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting this Scott - I think its always interesting to understand the real history of the highland clans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pdcorlis
    Thanks for posting this Scott - I think its always interesting to understand the real history of the highland clans.
    Agreed. There are two aspects of this that I find particularly interesting. First, what we now understand as the Highland clan system is a somewhat "new" concept. Clan Morrison has only existed for about 1,000 years, but clearly my ancestors in that region have a much longer history. Also, I'm no historian, but I would imagine that the clan concept as we know it now has evolved considerably along with the use of family names.

Second, tartans as used by our ancestors were not regarded the way they are today. I read somewhere recently that very few Outer Hebrides Scots actually own a kilt or any garment made from "their" tartan. I can't attest to the accuracy of these statements, but considering the very traditional, conservative lifestyle generally attributed to the area, and from all accounts the warm, close knit nature of these Highland communities, it isn't surprising that the need simply isn't there for the pomp and tradition that many North Americans and others who no longer live in the heart of Scotland seem to find comfort in. After all, they live it every day.

Having said that, there is by all appearances a resurgence in Highland games in islands many communities. I wonder: Has the self-image of the Highland Scot been influenced by those that left - some of them hundreds of years ago?

Anyway, Carol and I plan to get a first hand look at all this some day soon (we hope). Plenty to think about though in preparation for our visit.

Regards,
    Scott Gilmore

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

recommended reading...

Having said that, there is by all appearances a resurgence in Highland games in islands many communities. I wonder: Has the self-image of the Highland Scot been influenced by those that left - some of them hundreds of years ago?
    Recommended reading on this subject: Celeste Ray's Highland Heritage: Scottish Americans in the American South. (U. of North Carolina, 2000).

Cheers,

Todd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recently I've been reading The Scottish Highlanders a personal view by Charles MacKinnon - recommended by a fellow XMarker. There, he states that the number of identifiable highland "clans" at the time just prior to Culloden was between forty and fifty - far different than the "modern" history of clans and tartans after the great tartan revival of 1822. It's fascinating (for me at least) to understand and appreciate the full sweep of history for the highland clan system.

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pdcorlis
    Recently I've been reading The Scottish Highlanders a personal view by Charles MacKinnon - recommended by a fellow XMarker. There, he states that the number of identifiable highland "clans" at the time just prior to Culloden was between forty and fifty - far different than the "modern" history of clans and tartans after the great tartan revival of 1822. It's fascinating (for me at least) to understand and appreciate the full sweep of history for the highland clan system.
    MacKinnon is good as well. He dispells some of the myths of Highland History.

I also recommend Ian Grimble's Clans and Chiefs.

T.

Clinton, South Carolina (USA)-> Atlanta native
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grimble, MacKinnon and Celeste Ray are all worthwhile reading. None of them are difficult, but are all interesting. I have corresponded with Ray before and find her very intersted in learning more.

Another book similar to Ray's is "Cracker Culture: Celtic Ways in the Old South" by Grady McWhiney. He essentially ties descriptions of Ireland and Scotland to that of the Old South (US), while tying England to New England. While it sounds like bad history, it is actually well written, defended, and reasoned. It actually by a university press: University Alabama Press.

Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/081...lance&n=283155

I've also come across a few other "Clan history" books, but find MacKinnon and Grimble as the most useful. My copy of MacKinnon is my third. One lost on my trip in Scotland during 2000 and the other borrowed/donated by/to another. I have 2 copies of Grimble (purchased separately because differnt formating, I didn't realize was same book till started to actually read it).

Back to orginal post.

It is interesting how the island/penninsula was accessed in times of old. How did they climb it, is there some under/above water tunnel, flooded at high tide?

Good defensive locations are often reused by subsequent settlement, so a direct blood tie to the Iron Age settlement may be questionable. That said, people tend to not leave their ancestral home easily. (For example, just see the MacNeils and their fierce adherence to to the small, barely inhabitable island of Barra.)

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OT:McWhiney

Another book similar to Ray's is "Cracker Culture: Celtic Ways in the Old South" by Grady McWhiney. He essentially ties descriptions of Ireland and Scotland to that of the Old South (US), while tying England to New England. While it sounds like bad history, it is actually well written, defended, and reasoned. It actually by a university press: University Alabama Press.
    Read McWhiney's two "Celtic South" books, the aforementioned "Cracker Culture", and the last chapter of "Attack and Die", which discusses Southern military strategy and tactics in the Civil War with a large grain of salt, though. Interesting reading, but it should be pointed out that many people of "Celtic" stock also served in the Federal Army -- the Irish regiments of New York, Mass. and Pennsylvania, the 23rd Illinois and 7th Missouri "Irish"; the 79th New York and 12th Illinois (both Scottish regiments) and the numerous Scots, Ulster-Scots and Welsh soldiers who did not necessarily join an "ethnic" regiment.

Arthur MacArthur, father of General Douglas MacArthur, for example, was of Scottish heritage and was awarded the CMOH for his actions at Lookout Mountain with the 24th Wisconsin. On a personal note, many of my own Scottish ancestors served in Iowa regiments during the war.

That's not saying McWhiney is wrong, just that he ignores the Northern "Celts" to prove his point. Ray, David Fischer and James Leyburn are much more reliable.

OT off.

Regards,

Todd
    Last edited by macwilkin; 23rd July 06 at 06:07 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast