X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sources for Dance Ghillies

Hello All,

The lovely Flame-Haired Celtic Amazon Goddess and I will be starting a weekly Scottish Country Dance class starting after the labor day weekend. I was wondering if their were any Scottish Country dancers out there amongst the ranks? If so does anyone have recommendations for sources for dance ghillies?

Cheers
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jamie,

Have you checked with the groups in your area? As many SCD groups as there are in the bay area, there's probably at least one store that stocks them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hamish must know

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin
    Hamish must know
    How did you guess?!!

I have always had mine made by 'Munro Competition Shoes', a small one-woman company. Bobby Munro, who began making these shoes, was a World Champion Highland Dancer and so he really knew what it was all about. Sadly he died several years ago, but the woman who took over the reins learned her craft from Bobby. Unfortunately she has no website or e-mail address but full details are available from:

Marie Chaplin-Garrett,
    20, Woodhall Close,
    Cuckfield,
    Nr. Haywards Heath,
    West Sussex,
    RH17 5HJ,
    UNITED KINGDOM Tel: 01444 456807

Then there is The Scottish Dance Shoe Company. I have never worn their shoes, but they have a good reputation. They are at: www.scottishdanceshoe.co.uk

And St. Andrews Shoemakers Ltd at www.standrews-shoemakers.com but I know nothing of their quality or service, but they DO have Agents in the USA listed on their website.

Sorry, Panache, but I do not know of anyone else in the USA.

As long as you know your Left from your Right, you will LOVE SCD. Good Luck with it.
    Last edited by Hamish; 25th August 06 at 05:19 PM.
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know from nothin about dance shoes, but you could have a look here. http://www.highlandxpress.com/footwear.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dancing shoes

As a keen and frequent Scottish Country Dancer - welcome to another addiction!

Can I just add the name of my clansman, Billy Forsyth, to Hamish's list of shoe makers? Try http://www.billyforsyth.co.uk/
    Billy was also a champion Highland Dancer so he does know what looks good as well as what works. And he does a wonderful line in shock absorbing dance shoes (originally designed for dancing on the esplanade at Edinburgh Castle during the annual Tattoo) which both my wife and I have found very useful for protecting our poor old feet when we are dancing on solid floors - or on concrete outside.

Billy has always provided me with very rapid service for all my requirements. Strongly recommended.
    Last edited by Andrewson; 26th August 06 at 05:10 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the shoes are very similar to those my daughter wears for Irish dancing

Hers one site there are many many more

http://www.fayshoes.com/
    All the Best.....David.
    Why be part of the crowd Choose a Freelander Sporran
    A Member of the Caledonian Society of Norway
    My Photo Gallery Flickr