X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tartan Question!

I'm wondering about what Tartans to wear with a traditional style kilt. You see, to me, if I'm going to be wearing a kilt I'll have either no Tartan (which I have now) or I'd have my Clan's tartan (MacFie). What I'm wondering is which Scottish Tartans are made for any person to wear (non-Clan Tartans). And do kilts with these Tartans cost less (I'm a college student. No room for expensive kilts.)? I'm new to wearing kilts so this is a learning experience for me!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure you will get better replies from more experienced kilters than I. But there are tartans that are considered Universal. Black Watch, Royal Stewart are just a couple.

The prices can vary on Kilts. Some tartans are rare (not as popular) so they will be more expensive or longer wait when ordered. Another price factor is type of fabric, and the weight of the fabric. Tartans come in wool, polyviscose, acrylic, cotton, polyester or blends of the above. Remember the cheaper fabric will not look as nice, feel as good, or stay as nice as the more expensive fabrics. There is also many kilt makers that make a casual kilt that uses larger pleats and therefore less material used. Workmanship is another way to cut costs. Machine kilted as opposed to hand stitched. The workmanship will determine if you like the kilt for long or if it will fall apart.

A good kilt is worth saving for because it can last a lifetime. But if you feel the need to wear one now you need to decide what is important to you in your kilt.

You have come to the right place. The people on this forum is very knowledgeable and helpful. Welcome.
    Mark Keeney

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank MacDuffy
    I'm wondering about what Tartans to wear with a traditional style kilt. You see, to me, if I'm going to be wearing a kilt I'll have either no Tartan (which I have now) or I'd have my Clan's tartan (MacFie). What I'm wondering is which Scottish Tartans are made for any person to wear (non-Clan Tartans). And do kilts with these Tartans cost less (I'm a college student. No room for expensive kilts.)? I'm new to wearing kilts so this is a learning experience for me!
    Well, as Mark Keney said

Royal Stewart:

Black Watch:

================================================== =======
    Some other Tartans for everyone are;

Stewart Hunting:

Flower of Scotland:

Scottish National:

All these are common, you might find some woven in other materials besides wool, bringing the cost down. You might even find some used, being they are common rentals and such. You can get away with most military tartans, actually you can wear what you want, there are no rules.

Some other common tartans (which are also clan tartans) are Gordon & Gordon Dress (military), MacLeod Hunting (common Catholic School & military tartan) & MacLeod Dress (many pipe bands wear this), MacKenzie (military)...

*please note: some folks get bent out of shape with those who wear military tartans..... know the history behind it! Used military kilts are common, and there are many vendors selling excellent repo's! There are many other tartans for everyone as well; Caledonia, Scottish Pride, Millenium, etc.. the list is very long!

Military Tartans

*I and most others usually stick to tartans that I have or might have a connection to.
    Last edited by sirdaniel1975; 10th September 06 at 06:34 AM.

Graham is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In addition there are tartans associated with where you live, your State and country.
    Sadly neither the Australian or Tasmanian tartans are ones I would want to wear, but some States and counties have nicer ones.

Southern Breeze is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's good info on universal tartans in this thread-
    http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=20005

Prices on kilts vary A LOT, it depends on what you want and can afford. Take some time and check out the kiltmakers who advertise here. Odds are you'll find more options than you thought could exist.

Remember, the only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask, so ask away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clan tartans usually come in two variations - 'Dress' (bright and colourful for use in the evening when dark colours wouldn't show up in subdued light) and 'Hunting' (dark sombre colours which have to be seen in daylight to show up at all.) All the military tartans were 'Hunting' as soldiers usually oporated during the daylight, but some of these were converted into 'Dress' versions (not by the military!) by adding lots of white to them (as in Dress Gordon). All the colours were originally in what we now call 'modern colours', that is a standard colour scheme where red is very bright and blues and greens are very dark. Then the tartan manafacturers developed their 'ancient colours' (light pastel shades, where the red of MacPhie would be rendered as a beautiful soft almost flame colour) and 'weatherd colours' (really dummed down with reds and blues being even lighter and softer, but greens turning brown). The House of Edgar mill now produce 'muted' shades, which have the same effect as 'ancient' but are slightly darker colours. The only drawback at present is that this colour scheme is only available in medium weight cloth. Then there's weight of cloth to consider. Nearly all of the clan tartans are available in medium weight, but only the more popular ones are available at the cheaper price in heavyweight. That's because only these popular tartans are produced in double width lengths of cloth (D/W). The others are available in this weight but are more expensive as they are only produced in single width cloth (S/W).
    So, when choosing your kilt firstly decide on the weight of cloth you want. The size of the sett can alter the look of a tartan, so don't forget that sett size is slightly smaller in medium weight. Do you want a real 'tank' in heavyweight or a lighter medium weight ? Then choose your tartan and consider if it would look best in 'modern', 'ancient' or 'muted/weathered' shades (this is a big factor to consider if you want to wear your clan tartan and no other). The main factor that makes a 'real' kilt is the pleating. In order for the kiltmaker to really get the pleats looking good he/she must have at least 8 yards of cloth to work with. The cheap polyviscose kilts look good at the front, but the pictures on ebay don't show the rear of the kilt ! A full set of pleats not only looks good but they 'swing' as well, and this is one of the real joys of wearing a kilt. You really have to show off in your kilt, sport the tartan and swing the pleats !
    The other X markers have all given good advice so the rest is up to you. Good luck !
    The Kilt is my delight !

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

moved thread...

Moved thread to heraldry & tartans section. Please post all tartan-related questions there. :mrgreen:

Thanks!

Todd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think a Clan tartan should be purchased first. Why wouldn't you? Not only are you representing your Clan, but it's not a bad looking tartan either. After that, buy whatever universal you like.

The way I see it, there's a lot of Royal Stuart's and Black Watch kilts out there. Stand out and be proud of MacFie!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by beloitpiper
    The way I see it, there's a lot of Royal Stuart's and Black Watch kilts out there. Stand out and be proud of MacFie!!
    I agree!

The biggest mistake I ever made was not getting my clan tartan first.