X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.
10th September 06, 04:25 PM
Tiger Stripe Camo Kilt
This is the second kilt I have attempted to make. The tiger stripe happens to be my favorite camo, and I happened to find it in my favorite summer fabric, the milspec ripstop cotton. The only problem with this fabric was that the pattern runs vertically and the stripes need to be horizontal. So, I had to cut it and piece it together instead of just cutting it down the center and joining the two halves. You'll be able to see in the pictures that I used this problem as an opportunity to try something different. I make the front apron about 3/4 of an inch longer than the rest. I still haven't made up my mind if I like it or not.
I tried to do a couple of things different this time. I attempted to hide two front pockets in the pleats. While I think they turned out well, the picture shows how they deform the pleats while my hands are in them. But, I don't plan on walking around with my hands in my pockets.
The picture doesn't pick it up well, but I am using one of my old rank pins as a kilt pin. I also used the buttons from one of my old uniforms (of course they don't fit anymore) for the closure and pockets. I included a clip ring sewn into the waist, also.
I had plans to make some side cargo pockets for it also, but I was so pumped up to wear it, I never got that far. After wearing it for a week, I am not so sure I want or need them.
I included some cargo back pockets.