X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    San Francisco, California or there abouts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Panache, Alan,

Appreciate the helpful suggestions. I was planning to wear a SWK with the appropriate hose, etc. It's only the jacket that's a worry, and I assume that there might be others out there interested in attending with similar concerns.

Best regards,

Jake
    [B]Less talk, more monkey![/B]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bunchdescendant
    Aarrrgggh! Jackets and Ties!!

Well, guess it's time to take that tweed jacket down to Panache's tailor.

Now-where can I get a solid black tie, Lindsay flyplaid for the S.O. and a kilt in Lindsay or McLachlan for the Little Celtic Dancer.......

As you can guess, we are starting to plan for this.

Ray
    See the "General Kilt Talk" an dmy latest post for a budget solution for the little celtic dancer..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan H
    I'm guessing that you'll probably wear a UK to the dinner, right? OK, so how could you dress up a UK "to the max"? Maybe a sportcoat would look OK with a UK, I dunno....I've never seen one. Steve has a pic of himself wearing a Freedom Kilt on his website, with a regular sportcoat and kilt sox and it looks good.

It's worth a try, eh? Put it all on, snap a pic and toss it up here at X-Marks for comments?

I second the tie/vest idea of Panache's.
    TUXIKILT! atleast i think thats what they call it........

Centerville District, Fremont, California, USA, 3rd Rock
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See the "General Kilt Talk" an dmy latest post for a budget solution for the little celtic dancer..
    Thanks Alan, I will keep this in mind. The problem is not the length, it's the waist/fell measurements. There's a 10" difference in them! Remember, she's built a little different than us guys...

I will give them a call to see if anything will work for her.

Ray
    "There's no such thing as magical ponies!"
    Statement made by pink winged pony
    with crossed axes tattooed on her rump

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey@Arms
    Panache, Alan,

Appreciate the helpful suggestions. I was planning to wear a SWK with the appropriate hose, etc. It's only the jacket that's a worry, and I assume that there might be others out there interested in attending with similar concerns.

Best regards,

Jake
    You know a potaine-style jacket is entirely acceptable as formalwear...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I washed my face and 'ands before I come, I did.

OK, so how could you dress up a UK "to the max"?
    http://mybedazzler.com/

I'm in the same predicament as Jake. Have a few kilts now but no formal jacket. We'll see what we can come up with before the date. (A Potaine? Yow! Those are pricey.)

Used Google Image Search to review some photo galleries and it appears there's a wide spectrum of dress although it tends towards the formal side.

http://www.scda.us/burns%20supper.htm

http://www.craggy.org.uk/burns_supper_18-2-06.php

http://www.chicago-scots.org/Photo%2...Thumbnails.htm

http://www.highlandgames.com/members/burns_gallery.htm

http://www.charltonpark.org.uk/Burns%20night.htm

Would hate to have any X-Marker feel uneasy attending, especially on a clothing issue. (Most of the newly arrived rabble have already squandered their money on kilts, beer, and whiskey and have none left for jackets.) I'm for just wearing your best, whatever that might be, and having a great evening with klilted friends.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't want to hammer this "dress code" thing, eh? I just hope that everyone will put some effort into dressing up as much as they can, with what they've got. I'd like to gently discourage t-shirts and pushed-down hose, eh?

If you don't have a jacket and you don't like the look of a sportscoat with your kilt, then put on a tie and a dress shirt, and there you go. A vest dresses up the whole thing a bit, if you have one. A black vest isn't too expensive an article to purchase. You can get them from the Uniformalwearhouse (see link, below) for not much money.

If you have black-tie, then wear it if you want to. I sure will! If you don't have it, then don't stress. The point here is to have fun, celebrate Robert Burns, and get together.

Remember that you can acquire "black tie" stuff pretty darned inexpensively through http://www.uniformalwearhouse.com

That is a web site devoted to providing "uniform" formal stuff to waiters and musicians. The clothing isn't top-quality, but it "works" without breaking the bank.

Get the black, single button polyester Eton Jacket, which is about $35
    Get an $11 dress shirt
    Get studs and cuff links for, if I remember rightly $4
    Get an inexpensive black bow tie, or a solid color bow tie in the primary color of your favorite tartan. I think they're about $3

.............you're done. Team that up with hose and flashes and your best sporran and call it good. You're ready for the most formal occasion in the world!

If you want to go on to ebay and buy some celtic pewter or silver buttons to dress up your jacket, super! If not, the black buttons work fine.

And if you don't want to spent the $50 for all that stuff, then the white shirt, black vest and tie with your best kilt works just fine.

TimC is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The important thing as I see it is the time spent together - not who wore what. Let's have a great time....

-Tim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aye...

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TimC
    The important thing as I see it is the time spent together - not who wore what. Let's have a great time....

-Tim

Good Company, good food, and good drink...hmmm sounds like things that Burns fellow might have written about...

Cheers
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast