X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: Tartan Ball

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tartan Ball

November 4th is the Tartan Ball hosted by the Masons. It's in Milwaukee, and it is a really big, black tie event. I have a few questions that I think you guys could me help with.

First of all, I don't have a Prince Charlie jacket. Right now, I want to make my own Montrose Doublet. Does anybody have a pattern they can float my way? Otherwise, I'll just remake a normal jacket to have a high collar and a double breast.

Secondly, if, for some reason, I do not make a Montrose, would it be ok to show up in an Argyll jacket and waistcoat? I mean, I could always buy an Eton jacket and put on Scottish buttons, but I want to spend as little money as possible.

Thirdly, would a Balmoral be a good idea? Or should I keep the bonnet at home?

Finally, what are the rules on looking better than your date....? Haha, I'm just joking, my date is gorgeous. But still, she has some competition with the Gordon Dress kilt!

Thanks for any help. Also, if you have any tips at all about a black tie event, it would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by beloitpiper; 15th October 06 at 02:23 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An argyll jacket works very well for black tie events, all you need to add is either a spread or wing collar pleated front tux shirt and a black bow tie and you are ready to go.

You can do without the balmoral, you won't be needing it inside of the building. I usually leave mine at home or in the car so I don't have to keep up with all night.
    Last edited by Cawdorian; 15th October 06 at 02:55 PM.

Bob C is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    The beautiful Catskill Mountains of Upstate New York
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Argyll will work if it's black. Don't wear a bonnet indoors. If you want to wear the balmoral to the event and take it off when you get to the hall, that's fine.
    Virtus Ad Aethera Tendit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking Argyll

I agree with the previous posts, but my argyll jacket is navy blue, and I've had no problems fitting in at white or black tie events. I agree, if the function is inside, forget the bonnet. An evening (fur?) sporran would be better than a day (plain leather) sporran. Since my kilt is hunting MacIntosh, I wear either navy or green hose during formal and evening functions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

I agree with everyone on the Argyll + wing collared shirt. Especially since you have a waist coat to go with it. You're all set.

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wing-collar shirts...

Technically, a wing-collared shirt is really appropriate only for white tie affairs, but the tux rental places in the States have made this "null-and-void" nowadays. Personally, I think an Argyll looks better with the "stand-and-fall" style collar and black tie, like you would wear with a tuxedo, but that's just me.

Regards,

Todd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was taken at last years Navy Ball in Key West. The gentleman in the center is wearing an Argyl jacket. It is an excellent option and works well with or w/o a waistcoat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunscot
    Technically, a wing-collared shirt is really appropriate only for white tie affairs...
    That is my understanding as well...

I bought a wing collared shirt and black satin bowtie last year to wear at my daughters wedding, but I rented a PC jacket and waistcoat to wear with it.

I tried it on with my black argyll jacket.... and it looks... acceptable. I don't own a black waistcoat, but one certainly would help if I chose to actually wear that combination out sometime.

And I'm not sure that anyone but a very few would actually notice anyway. People know when you're well dressed... few seem to care about the minute details.... Xmarks members notwithstanding.

I suppose I should ask if there are any Masonic attire protocols to be observed at this little cotillion?
    Last edited by Blu (Ontario); 15th October 06 at 07:30 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorUK
    This was taken at last years Navy Ball in Key West. The gentleman in the center is wearing an Argyl jacket. It is an excellent option and works well with or w/o a waistcoat.
    Great picture. Very distinguished looking group.