X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...and in this corner, from Galicia..

I finally scored a copy of the Os Cempes album Circo Montecuruto and I have been wearing it out.

These dudes are from Galicia, one of the OTHER Celtic Nations and they totally frellin' rock. It's like Gypsy/Irish/Klezmer/soundtrack from a Fellini movie music. I suppose that this hits me where I live because I do love Tango (Nueveo and Traditional) and Klezmer and that's kind of what the "base layer" of these tunes sounds like but there's this unmistakable aspect of Celtic-ness...if you can find any of their stuff - notably Circo - try it.

Another Galician group played at Celtic Fest here and brouht the house down...I'm still trying to get their name...they weren't on the formal program but they were fantastic. Several of the homeless guys in Grant Park materialized and were dancing in front of the stage while the Boys from Galicia were crankin' it out...it WAS like a Fellini movie.

Best

AA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm... interesting... I'm gonna check Itunes (though they're probably not on there, it's worth a quick search I reckon.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hummmm.... yes,... it's great to see that some of this side of the seas gets also known around there.... and ... well.. there are also dozens of celt music bands and players from Galicia and Asturias offering their works to you all,... just as a suggestion:

Carlos Núñez (Galicia)
    Hevia (Asturias)
    Luar na Lubre (Galicia)
    Susana Seivane (Galicia)
    Atlántica (Asturias)
    Alboka (Basque Country)

.... and not coming from the northern side of Spain, but with an amazing mix of medieval, balkan, sefardi and mediterranean middle east influences, that include the use of our local bagpipe called here quite graphically "Sac de Gemecs", (that means in Valencian "Bag of moanings") ,.... the name of this band is:

L'HAM DE FOC

and I strongly recommand it!!!!

P.S.:

As a little off-topic, I wanted to apologise for my absence in the last months here. First of all I wanted to set clear that it's not a thing I like at all, but some personal circumstances have made me spend less and less time connected to the internet... and I hope it will be for good!... Since then the only short times I had the chance to get in here, I spent so many hours reading and checking what u left here that I even couldn't find time to add smthg of my own.... I still have pendant to create a thread telling you about my wanderful trip to Scotland last august... and also the great people I met there, with some amazing pictures that I hope u'll enjoy... but again,... I'll have to find time for that!

I'll ask meanwhile for ur patience!!

¡Salud!

T O N O

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Valencian, we eagerly anticipate the photos from your journey...the sooner the better.

And the name of the band that appeared at Chicago Celtic Fest was "Xochilmica"...they totally rocked.

Like a lot of ethnic music that you "discover", Os Cempes was the first Galician group that I heard and thus opened the door. Thanks for the recommendations and I'll look them up and give a listen. Seems like that happens...you hear something new and it just blows you away and you start hunting down stuff from the same genre.

Best

AA