X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blue Denim Utilikilt

Realized this evening as I kilted up in my blue denim UK original that its probably my most worn kilt.

Not necessarily my "favorite" kilt. But my most worn. Its the kilt I seem to gravitate to on casual Fridays and weekends.

There's one reason - it is SOFT! - - now that its well broken in. Okay, maybe two reasons - denim goes well with most any shirt/sweatshirt/etc.

So, my unsolicited advice is; if you're looking for a good all around comfie kilt get blue denim UK original and break it in. Mine is two years old now, probably been well broken in for at least the last six months.

Funny, when I first got it I was worried it'd look too much like a denim skirt. Today, I don't worry about it, I just grab it and go.

Ron
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to second this. I got my denim in June, and when I'm not working (wear a workman's to work) I am now almost constantly in the denim (prototype brown cord is in second), for the same reason, it is so soft and comfy.

Adam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for this one. I've really been looking at the cord and denim UKs. I'm planning on asking for one as a Christmas present from the Mrs.

I have the concern of the denim looking like a denim skirt too.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the problems with the blue denim UK original is that for some reason its hard to photograph well. Think photography still struggles with shades of blue.

In person, the cargo pockets, pleats, and snaps on the apron keep it from looking like a denim skirt.

I think it'd look very sharp with a "New Mexico print" western shirt.

Ron
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been thinking about the denim UK's myself, but like you guys, I've been worried that it would look like a skirt. Looks like another item for the Christmas list!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really doesn't look skirtlike. The only reason I waited so long for a denim was the pocket situation. I really prefer the workman's style pockets, both for work and just hanging out and so almost never wear my other originals. I've actually been trying to get UK to make denim workman's for over 2 years. I finally got one after working a festival this summer and it is the most comfortable one I own.

Adam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both a blue and a black denim and they are by far my most worn kilts. they just do it all very well.

Dick Ackerman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverkilt
    Realized this evening as I kilted up in my blue denim UK original that its probably my most worn kilt.
    Same here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought about buying one and dropping it into the washing machine to soften it up before I started wearing it....wondered if that would make a difference

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I checked the rack at two different games, months apart, and every one of the blue denims in my size had mis-matched snaps - meaning, when snapped, the front apron didn't lay flat between the snaps. I gave up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast