X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilt Pin Position

Is there a hard and fast rule for the location of the Kilt pin? I mean, distance from the corner of the apron. (No, ya Philistines, I wasn't gonna put it in the MIDDLE!!!! )

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just somewhere down in the lower outside corner is fine. It doesn't have to be so many inches in from teh apron edge or up from the bottom. Just use the EB method (the "eye-ball" method) and put it where it looks right.

M

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AnimalK View Post
    Is there a hard and fast rule for the location of the Kilt pin? I mean, distance from the corner of the apron. (No, ya Philistines, I wasn't gonna put it in the MIDDLE!!!! )
    If you must wear a kilt pin its the right hand side of the outer apron on the second sett (bottom and right). It should only be used to secure the inner apron during the worst winds. Neither in battle nor on parade there is probably no function to the pin other than as a "traditional" ornament.
    My hard and fast rule for the location of the Kilt pin? Typically in a box or bag but not on a kilt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wearing my kilt at work the other day taught me that kilt pins and desks do not play well together. For a desk worker the kilt pin should probably stay in the sporran.
    It don't mean a thing, if you aint got that swing!!
    'S Rioghal Mo Dhream - a child of the mist

Bob C is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    The beautiful Catskill Mountains of Upstate New York
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got to disagree with Nanook. NEVER secure the outer apron to the inner. The kilt won't hang right.

I wear it two-to-three inches in from the edge and up from the bottom, at the intersection of a prominent line of the tartan.

The kilt pin is a nice part of the ensemble and helps the outfit look finished. Wear it.
    Virtus Ad Aethera Tendit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob C. View Post
    I've got to disagree with Nanook. NEVER secure the outer apron to the inner. The kilt won't hang right.
    In a gusty storm its not about kilts "hanging right". When weather is not windy enough to have call to secure the outer and inner aprons then the pin should remain in the outer apron. Regimental kilts are stiff and heavy but even with a large horse hair sporran there is a point when kilts fly like Marilyn Monroe's dress in "Seven Year Itch". Luckily few of us will ever be exposed to such nasty winds--- and, in the least, not be standing around in kilts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to go with Bob C on this one. Personally I would rather have my kilt fly up rather than risk having any damage done to my kilt. If the wind is that strong, I am not going to trust one of those pins to hold together properly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    I have to go with Bob C on this one. Personally I would rather have my kilt fly up rather than risk having any damage done to my kilt.
    To a soldier or ceremonial piper/drummer that's not a choice.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilt Pin

I always wear a kilt pin, pinned through the outer apron only, as it helps weigh down the apron. IMHO, a kilt with no kilt pin just doesn't look right which is why I'd rather go through airport security in trousers than forego my kilt pin. The only kilts on which I would ever fasten the pin through both inner and outer aprons are my two polycotton kilts which are of very thin and light material and really need the pin to hold them in place.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
    In a gusty storm its not about kilts "hanging right".

Luckily few of us will ever be exposed to such nasty winds--- and, in the least, not be standing around in kilts.
    My wedding at Edinburgh Castle on Oct 31 was quite windy - to the point that my bride and the taxi driver both commented on how even my 16oz wool kilt was getting within centimeters of exposing me to the world as I mailed our announcements from the mailbox at the bottom of the hill within the Castle.

I had no problems at all with the aprons - I was wearing a rather heavy pin on the front apron. The back pleats were catching air, though...

It's even visible in this shot:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast